Skip navigation

https://blogs.ubc.ca/jameslau/2014/11/09/everyone-wants-to-work-for-google/
Why is Google so successful? The answer lies not in the idea but in the number of employees who are motivated to work for that idea each day. According to James Lau’s post, Google’s development of a united workforce through providing benefits and appealing working environments is the key to the company’s success.
google_office
dublin-atrium
google_06-771567
I strongly agree with James Lau’s views on the corporate culture that thrives within Google, a factor that stimulates loyalty, enhances reputation, and increases productivity. In reading James’ analysis, I realized that Google cultivates a suitable working environment for everyone, from the mothers of young children to newly graduated students. As a result, Google is able to attract the best of minds in the engineering, business, arts, and many other fields. Therefore, similar to James, I agree that the expenditures attached to providing healthcare, free food, and other benefits is recouped by the immense benefits that are engendered.

However, I would also like to note that it is vital for Google to ensure that these perks do not promote slack among its employees. It is still of utmost importance for employees to focus on the vision of the firm instead of on how comfortable their surroundings are. Personally, I believe that pressure is a key motivator in driving employees to their full potential. Thus, if I were the CEO of Google, I may not offer as many benefits as there exists presently merely because from my experiences, people are less inclined to take action when they are in a relaxing environment.

It is true that Google’s attractive working conditions play a major role in their strong workforce and high efficiency, as James asserts. Nevertheless, these benefits should not encourage complacency and encumber innovative ideas from being formed.