BALLS!?

by Chase ~ November 14th, 2010. Filed under: Marketing (Comm 296).

CLEAN WHAT?! Clean BALLS!?

While I was watching some TV today, I came across a very “interesting” commercial of Axe Detailer. I’ve always known Axe for their “unique” commercials but this one that I saw today particularly stood out even from their unique collection of commercials. I said an “interesting” commercial because it was hard for me to find the one right word to describe it based on my attitude. My attitude created the two words that are distinct from each other; disturbing and funny at the same time. If you watch the video above, you will know exactly what I mean.

This commercial made an obvious sexual image by using sports equipment balls to refer to as the testicles of men. They used different types of balls to describe the different stereotypical testicles: Old rugby balls as an old man’s testicles, big soccer ball sacks as a black man’s testicles, fuzzy tennis balls as a hairy man’s testicles.

While these analogies made me laugh, some features such as the old woman’s expressions and the spokesperson “playing” with the balls disturbed me as well. Also, an immediate question that came up to my mind was “Is this even APPROPRIATE to be shown on TV?!?!”