Monthly Archives: October 2013

“We Are All Canucks” (C296)

The study of big-name brands and companies is necessary to understand what allows them to be successful. Case in point from the lectures we’ve had, Toyota’s geographic segmentation to separately accommodate for the narrow European boulevards and North America’s gridline system, and Lululemon’s psychographic approach in shaping a culture and defining a lifestyle. These companies have an augmented ability to pinpoint consumer behaviour and match their needs. Naturally, I thought about brands and companies relevant to me and thought about the Vancouver Canucks.

Source: Canucks YouTube page

It occurred to me how successful the Vancouver Canucks brand is with respect to understanding its consumer. Since its inception to the National Hockey League in 1970, the team has gradually found its place next to other revenue-high, elite teams. Since 1970, the Canucks and their fans have gone through a cyclical process (1982 Stanley Cup run, 1994 Stanley Cup run, 2011 Stanley Cup run), and despite having not won the Stanley Cup in any of those runs, the Canucks have continued to expand their fan base through the need to want to win.

The Canucks have been assessing the unique demography of Vancouver and the resulting factor is a devoted and diverse fan base. This has been done through several processes including understanding the 7 principles of consumer behaviour; for example, the Canucks signing now all-stars Sedin brothers, Selke award winner Ryan Kesler, and Vezina trophy winner Roberto Luongo (liking principle), and boasting consecutive attendance-sellouts (social validation principle).

In the context of my personal experience: Much like what happened to my parents, who probably fell into the “trap”, the Canucks have intertwined the mission statement into me; I will always be emotionally attached to the Canucks. The brand’s commitment has infectiously spread across several generations. Surely, the brand will continue growing as it has been, because “We are all Canucks”.