Evolving Technology and Literature

Because of the improvement of technology, there have been huge changes in literature. Before, if you wrote a book and you want to publish it to become an author, you need to find a publisher that is willing to take you on, and hire someone to do the technical work (editing, formatting, printing, etc.). Nowadays anyone can publish anything. With social media, anyone can post there writing in public anytime, without having to be selected, and for free. There are blogs for literature as well, and can be published and accessed for free.

Articles have shown that the computer technology is changing rapidly and it affects the job opportunities that we have. They also mention that the changes are not always for the good. There are a lot of benefits to include hyperlinks in the writing. First of all, it makes your writing easier to read and you get to make sure that the readers would understand what kind of message you want to deliver. They can learn more about certain things without you having to explain. Also, due to the improvement of technology, people are getting lazier. So hyperlinks could help them finish the research work and make sure they understand the right information by quickly accessing related sources.

However, the fact that anyone can publish anytime has also made literature and media equalizing. Voices that would otherwise be silenced and ignored by traditional publishers can publish on social media, blogs, Internet, etc. In Canada, maybe this means we will see more Indigenous literature and storytelling being published and accessed by people, or more literature on very specific topics, or written by other marginalized groups (LGBTQ2+, racial minorities, etc.).

These examples show how technology has affected us in many different ways. Such as publishing literature and writing online. Before when people are writing they can concentrate and just focus on their writing and look for extra information on books or from other places. However, now we get to use different tools on the Internet all the time to make our writing more interesting. Personally I think it brings out a negative effect for our writing because when I read ancient literature I feel like they are really pure. Compared to the writing nowadays they look alike and more shallow (I am guessing it is because of all the extra technology support that we use).

Also, when people are writing online they can use hyperlink to make their writing more clear. Before you can hire a publisher to check your writing and grammar also making footnote at the end of the writing when there are difficult or unfamiliar vocabulary. However the creation of hyperlinks has made more connections to the reader because the author gets to decide what kind of explanation, information they want to link to the reader. Moreover, hyperlink can make the reader get to the point faster and it is really useful when they are reading complicated literature.

All in all the world is changing rapidly, we need to make sure that we are also improving. We need to be used to the changes that is happening around us. We also need to be prepared that technology might be responsible for unemployment. Technology has made our life more convenient but has also brought up positive and negative impacts such as in literature. Literature nowadays is, different it is more mechanized in a way.

Rotman, David. “How Technology Is Destroying Jobs.” MIT Technology Review, MIT Technology Review, 1 Sept. 2016, www.technologyreview.com/s/515926/how-technology-is-destroying-jobs/.

“BLOG.” Global Copywriting, www.globalcopywriting.com/5-good-reasons-to-include-hyperlinks-in-your-content-marketing/.

6 thoughts on “Evolving Technology and Literature

1. CooperAsp

Hi Coco,

I really enjoyed your blog post. I wrote on the same topic and it’s always interesting to see other perspectives on the same question.

I’m wondering what your opinion is on the spread of false information through the internet. I feel similarly to you in that the internet has allowed for voices that would have gone unheard to now be heard, but I see online a growing sense that things on the internet can’t be trusted due to an abundance of false information and worry that this may serve to silence those voices. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Cooper

1. Pin han Post author

Hi Cooper,

Thank you for reading my blog post. This is a really good question. Actually I’ve been thinking about how to verify fake news and false information for a while. I believe that in the world that we live in today we should read and learn as broad as we can to have the knowledge to distinguish the false information.

2. Steph

Hi Coco,

I enjoyed your post. Indeed, technology is rapidly taking over our lives in detrimental and harmful ways. It is quickly changing the way that we interact with the world and the way that the world interacts with us. It has changed the way life works, especially when communicating with each other. However, I would like to ask why you think ancient literature is pure. Considering that time is linear, the literature written today would someday become ancient literature; in that case, what makes contemporary literature impure?

1. Pin han Post author

Hi Steph,

Thank you for reading my post. When I wrote about ancient literature is pure compare to what we have today I think it is more about the uniqueness. Ancient literature has been there for a very long time. When people talks about it they are still amazed by it. However the story that we have today from my reading experience i would say that there are much more information and sources that people can use nowadays. So it might be repeatable.

3. JosephUm

Hi Coco!
    I agree with you that media can preserve voices that might be silenced by traditional publishers!
    I would like to know more about your thoughts in technology being responsible for unemployment! In which areas is technology correlated with unemployment?

1. Pin han Post author

HI Joseph,

Thank you for reading my post. To me technology is anything you can do with using our creativity and problem solving skill, anything that are repeatable are more possible to be replace with technology. Moreover I believe that creativity is one of the most important skill that we need in the world we live in today.