Watching “True cost” kind of destroyed me.

While the first 30-some minutes of True Cost played in front of us in class, I found myself hyper aware of the 30-something dollar Zara jeans and the dollar-and-something Forever 21 cami that I was wearing. The toughest part was probably that the majority of things discussed in the film (I went on to finish the movie on my own later,) didn’t even come as a surprise– I knew about cheap labour, I knew about garment waste, I knew about the the pollution, and vaguely, in the back of my mind, I knew that it is economically impossible for these clothing items to be this cheap without there being some kind of catch. While I can say that I shop at thrift shops and consignment stores before approaching big box stores, it’s still tough to defend myself when confronted so bluntly by the human rights atrocities of the fast fashion industry.

So what are my alternatives then? Sure, I do plan on continuing to thrift, but besides that, how do I find harder-to-thrift items, like basics and shoes? American Apparel and its Made-In-America clothing is ridden with a sexual messaging controversy that I’d rather not support, and while I could go to Patagonia for certain things like shirts and leggings, there must be more options out there.

In my search, I came across an article by the National Post about some tips for finding responsible clothing:

• Get Educated (True Cost was a great place to start)
  • Hold Companies Accountable (Question company practices and make it known that it is a concern that you have)
  • Shop Local (Locally owned stores that have a better sense of they supply chain)
  • Check Certifications (Organic, Fair Trade)
  • Buy Secondhand, or Be Prepared to Spend More (Thrift, or go for fewer, high quality items)

With our global supply chain and the multitude of hands products need to pass through before reaching us (the consumer), being a conscious consumer is more difficult than ever. This is not to say that I will give up, but certainly companies and our media need to start the discussion on this global problem of wanting more material things for less money. The North Face, for one, has started a Backyard Project, where all the pieces from the collection are grown and sewn in the USA, which is a great start.

I challenge more companies to step forward to lead the movement in better clothing.

1. Hi Sarah,

I share some of your sentiments concerning the invisible impact our consumption and clothing has. What do you think of larger companies like Adidas and H&M who are considered some of the worlds most sustainable by Corporate Knights? Do these ratings change your perception of them and increase you likelihood of purchase? Or do you subscribe to more a buy it for life perspective for consumer durable goods?

http://fashionista.com/2016/01/most-sustainable-fashion-companies
    https://www.reddit.com/r/buyitforlife

2. This is quite an interesting piece of reflections here, because it talks about an inherent dilemma that people hold towards purchasing clothes; yet, conscious changes are not followed despite of such recognition. We all know about the child labour of Nike; however, it does not diminish the quality of their shoes. We know about the “plagiarism” of Zara’s designs, but this does not deter us from entering into the store and making a purchase. It seems that consumers have the ability to separate the product produced by the company, and its corporate image; and view these two things as separate but interdependent entities. As I have learned in my HR classe (COHR404 and COHR408), people are expert at “after-fact justifications”, which means that they are good at taking an action, and thinking about a justification afterwards rather than reasoning through the situations and end with a conclusion. This may partly explain why people are not making conscious, green choices; because the result is placed before the reasoning. Sarah has given some great resources and tips to guide consumers to go with more sustainable alternative; nevertheless, the struggle is still evident. It is true that people tend to make purchases because they love a brand and identify with its value and mission. It is also true, that people make purchases simply because they like the design or they enjoy the quality of the product received. The latter would act as a stronger and more common motive for making a purchase than the former, because we naturally chose product that appeal to our preference and taste. Videos like “True Cost” is definitely reflective and moving, but its desire to shape people’s behaviour may not be well received as expected. It is one thing to understand the hidden cost of the production; it is another thing to be dedicated and responsive and to make changes.

3. Sarah, I feel your pain! I also blogged about “True Cost” because I was faced with the same dilemma. I’m assuming that students do not have a lot of disposable income to support locally made (aka. more expensive) garments, but still want to support in some ways. I guess there is no easy way around this topic, other than to educate ourselves and save up! Knowing how expensive a well-made, locally sourced tshirt might be can help us set the bar for ourselves. The hefty price tag can train ourselves to INVEST in pieces, rather than grab whatever is cheapest at Forever21 and H&M. I worked with this start-up last summer called Garmentory that supports independent boutiques and designers that make their own clothes! I highly suggest you check it out, and perhaps learn more about how there IS a way to be sustainably clothed.

http://garmentory.com/