It’s All in Your Head-Men and Women Wired Differently for Emotions

Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, Disgust- these five characters from Inside Out are emotions that we know all too well. Sometimes, we experience them more often than we would like to. However, have you noticed how emotions affect each person differently, especially between men and women? I came across this question while I watched this video, which is part of a project called “The And”. A couple sat down for the first time in two years after their break up and asked each other a series of intimate and emotional questions.

As my friend and I watched this couple revisit their past relationship I experienced a roller coaster of emotions. I found myself fluctuating from being on the brink of tears to hysterical laughter. As for my friend, he seemed amused yet unaffected by the emotions. In fact, he was very concerned that the girl had not moved on since the break up. Seeing this difference made me think: is it possible that men and women simply process emotions differently?

female-male-brain-differences

Credit: http://www.mybraintest.org/

We already know that the human brain consists of a left and right hemisphere. The left hemisphere is considered the logical side, whereas the right hemisphere is the creative side. We also have parts of the brain that help respond externally, and others that respond internally. So how might this affect the processing of emotions between men and women?

Brainhemispheres1

Picture of the brain. Credit: The Thinking Business

In Robin Lloyd’s article, he states that scientists have found evidence that men and women were wired differently for emotions. Studies have found that when overwhelmed by fear, men tend to respond physically while women respond more emotionally. This difference is the effect of the communication between different regions of the brain and the cluster of neurons, which are found in both men and women.

Neuron

Picture of a network of neutrons. Credit: http://wespeakscience.com/scientist-transform-blood-cells-into-neurons/

If that’s not interesting enough, Larry Cahill and his team from University of California Irvine did a study on a particular group of neurons, called amygdala.This team of researches found that while the more energetic group of amygdala neurons in men are located in the right hemisphere, the more active group of amygdala neurons for women are located in their left hemisphere.

So females aren’t just more emotional, they are also wired differently from men to begin with. It’s fascinating how the same group of neurons in human beings can affect them in completely different ways, making each of them a unique individual. Inside Out illustrates this interesting scientific theory in an unique standpoint, making it easier to visualize and understand. The short trailer from Inside Out gives a quick glance into the differences between the emotional wiring of men and women. If you haven’t watched it, I strongly recommend that you do:

YouTube Preview Image

-Stephanie Lam

One response to “It’s All in Your Head-Men and Women Wired Differently for Emotions