An emoji story

Can you guess what movie, TV show, or book this emoji story is supposed to be?

Attempting to convey feelings, relationships, symbolism, and interrobangs through only still images was quite an entertaining but thought-provoking task. Beginning with the title seemed obvious even though there was much to perfect. By choosing the correct symbols to invoke the relationship between the title and the emojis meaning could set a reader down the correct path of actually guessing their true meaning. It should have only gotten more straightforward as the reader followed along through the plot to accurately guess the title of the movie, TV show, or book. Although, without grammar to “clamp together a set of diverse phenomena to produce the complex and
diverse resources for representation that we call speech and writing.” (Kress, 2005, pp. 25), perfecting the order and real meaning behind each symbol to convey and invoke similar feelings as text posed many challenges.

Bolter describes how “printing has placed the word effectively in control of the image.” (Bolter, 2001, pp. 48). On the other end of the spectrum, I had to rely on the symbolism of emojis to communicate the more difficult plot points. Rather than use symbols of words for more complicated explanations, laying out the emojis like a storyboard help convey the meaning of the plot that I was after. “The attempt to make words do what pictures do might be taken to mean that pictures are primary and words secondary (Bolter, 2001, pp. 56).” Helping capsulize what an emoji is supposed to represent could be condensed by accompanying emojis in succession to convey a still image effect from one emoji to the next.

The pop culture relevance of the movie, TV show or book I have chosen is quite profound at this current moment in time. It may almost be too easy to guess if someone has already seen or read the movie, TV show, or book.

Were there any plot points I had missed?
Should I have left out particular plot points as they may have been deemed spoilers?
What emojis would you change out for the one I had chosen to convey the plot or title more accurately?

Bolter, J. D. (2001). Writing space computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print (2nd ed., pp. 48–56). New York London Routledge.

Kress, G. (2005). Gains and losses: New forms of texts, knowledge, and learning. Computers and Composition22(1), 5–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compcom.2004.12.004