Mode-Bending What is in My Bag

My redesign of our class’s first task in a new semiotic mode takes inspiration from the digital literacy difficulties created by a digital divide. As Dobson and Willinsky describe, “print and digital forms of literacy… is often overlooked, much is made of the democratic qualities of digital literacy, as it affords greater access to knowledge as well as the ability to speak out and make one’s views widely available.” (Dobson & Willinsky, 2009) The ability to access information that is not necessarily scholarly in nature, although informative, has effected the “growing global dimensions of people’s participation in digital literacy… [,] a worthwhile human rights goal.” (Dobson & Willinsky, 2009)

Whilst digital navigation may come to many users without much difficulty. Users’ age and the opportunities afforded to users to assess varying forms of digital media may limit their ability to navigate various forms of digital communication literacies effectively. 

As such, while reusing the original audio from our first task. I have embedded screenshots taken from the search results of images I had taken of each item from my bag from the Google Lens tool. Each screenshot is not necessarily challenging to pick information out of. Although, at particular points, it may be difficult to process or locate where exactly a viewer should be looking in order to grasp what item is being described in the video. 

Challenge time!

Set a timer and see how long it takes for you to complete this quiz to test your digital literacy. Check to see if you can beat your time a second time once sharpening your digital literacy for the Google Lens UX design. 

Dobson, T. M., & Willinsky, J. (2009). Digital Literacy. In D. R. Olson & N. Torrance (Eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of Literacy (p. pp. 286 – 312). Cambridge University Press.