Corporate Culture – Not Just A Passing Fad

high-tech corporate interior design, Google Office

Today’s class on corporate culture intrigued me exceptionally due to our specific focus on the online shoe and clothing company, Zappos.com; named “Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For 5 years in a row”, making it a leader in corporate culture, setting standards for many companies to follow, despite being a relatively young company. I was no stranger to corporate culture, having heard of the envious working environments in companies such as Google and Youtube where their offices are designed with wide, open concepts with actual slides, evoking the excitement of the child in me. However, Zappos brought corporate culture to my attention in a way much different from before; I experienced the powerful effects of what an effective corporate culture could accomplish – I genuinely wished I worked at Zappos or any company with a culture similar to it. Like any other university student who faces the issue of procrastination ever so often, it comes as a wonder to me, how an established set of beliefs embedded within an organization could affect its employees’ behaviour so comprehensively, allowing them to have such unparalleled intrinsic motivation to work.

Tying in with what we have been taught in class today, I very much agree with the components of corporate culture as broken down and explained in this blog post from the Harvard Business Review. Companies and potential employees alike are definitely noticing the increasing need for an efficient and well-implemented company culture – competitiveness in business is not limited to simply attracting customers and making a profit but attracting and being able to continually invoke the motivation of employees as well.

“Igniting Creativity to Transform Corporate Culture”