Assignment 1:5 – I Have a Great Story to Tell You

I have a great story to tell you

There once was a monastery high on a mountain. There monks lived, young and old, and they were all joined together in song under the leadership of the abbot, the eldest and most revered of the monks. This song was the song of life, and as they sang the story of the world was told.

One day, one of the younger monks was watching the birds outside his cell, and listening to them sing, for he was very fond of birds. Then he said, “I’m tired of singing the part the abbot has assigned me. These birds don’t all sing the same song and they are still beautiful. There are many of us here, we could be like the birds and make our own parts.” Then he began to sing a melody of his own making, and discord entered the song of the monastery. And as the discord entered the song, discord entered the story of the world around them. And the melody of the young monk caused the rivers to flood.

The abbot, hearing the song grow discordant, told the young monk to sing his appointed part. But the young monk was excited to hear his own melody and began to sing louder, and couldn’t hear the abbot. And some of the other monks, seeing how happy the young monk was, began to make their own parts as well. And one new melody brought a famine, and another brought a drought, and another brought an earthquake. And so on did the story of the world change, until finally the song had grown so out of tune that death entered the world.

Now the young monk was happy and caught up in the song he was singing. But then he saw his favorite bird lying still on the ledge of his cell’s window. The young monk grew concerned and brought the bird to the abbot. When he showed the bird to the abbot, the abbot saw that the bird had died. The abbot told the young monk the bird had died, but the young monk was confused, having never heard of death before. The abbot explained to the young monk what death was, and the young monk grew sad, and wanted to change the song back and remove death from the story of the world. But the other monks couldn’t hear him, they could only hear their own songs. And the young monk began to despair, not being able to do anything to help the bird. And the abbot said, “Once you have told a story, you can never take it back. So, be careful of the stories you tell, and the stories you listen to.”

I pretty blatantly stole parts of this story from a variety of places, mostly because creativity of this kind doesn’t come naturally to me.

As for commentary, I’m not sure I have any. But I can say I gained a new appreciation for the art of storytelling, because coming up with something that’s not too obviously derivative isn’t as easy as it sounds

4 Thoughts.

1. Hi Cooper, thank you for your story! The way that you used song and music as an indirect medium for storytelling reminded me of the short story “The Nightingale” by Hans Christian Andersen, though these two stories end very differently. I love how seamlessly you story conveyed the concept of the permanence/immortality of stories and the power that they carry, despite being incredibly different from that of the witches conference. I was wondering what stories/other resources inspired you to write this?

• Hi Lilly,

Thanks for your comment!

I 100% ripped off Tolkien’s creation myth “The Ainulindale.” Really fascinating creation myth, it has the creator god sing the other gods into existence, teach them how to sing, and lead them in a song that creates the world. One of the gods gets full of himself, starts making his own song, etc. Probably my favorite creation myth.

Cooper

2. Hi Lilly,

Your reflection really resonated with me because I also feel like I do not have art creativity or whatsoever. However, working on this exercise really helped me somehow explore that. Writing the story, I was thinking of a place I saw on Planet Earth and I had the Lion King story was on my mind. I agree with what you said that creativity comes from what you have seen and experience. I think the creative part come on how you interpreted what you have seen and experienced. Did you write the story before telling it or did you tell the story and wrote it? How did that affect your creativity?

• Hi Wong,

I wrote it first. I don’t think I could have done it any other way, had I tried to tell a story prior to writing it I would have gotten mixed up almost immediately. What about you?

Cooper