Previously used for Latin American Studies 303

Believing in Your Agency

When I was just a second year behavioral neuroscience student, I took a lot of courses focusing on the psychology behind animal and human behavior. One of the more interesting topics that I can remember studying was the difference in behavior of individuals who believe that they have control over their situation, as compared to individuals who do not hold that belief. The simple act of believing that they have control over what happens to them (whether or not that is true) makes individuals more positive, active and effective contributing members of their community. Whereas, on the other hand, believing that one does not have such control leads to individuals being non-committal, less resilient, and less productive.

This is why I think it is so important that Alara, Gabriel, Geneviève and Katerina included in their definition of “agency” the idea that agency is not an all or nothing affair, and that even if a community or an individual is experiencing interference from external forces, they can still have an effect on the situation. I think that this concept is often overlooked when talking about marginalized groups, but it is such an important thing to remember. For example, if the Shipibo-Konibo peoples believe that they have no control over the ayahuasca tourism industry, then they will likely be  completely overrun by tourists and foreign lodge owners who don’t respect their traditions and erase the ceremonial significance. However, if they believe that they do have a choice and that they can make a difference, then they could potentially preserve their cultural heritage and restore the significance of ayahuasca.

I believe that this is what Arévalo was hinting at at the end of his interview with Rumrrill when he mentioned that nobody had taken away the Shipibo peoples’ knowledge, and it was now up to them to “set off on the path of improvement” (207). On a global scale, it’s up to each of us to believe in our own ability to make a difference, to believe in our own agency. Then we can get to work.

***

If you’re interested in reading more about the effects of perceived efficacy on behavior, this is an interesting article by Albert Bandura about agency in a collective setting.

« »