Previously used for Latin American Studies 303

Will You Hear Me When the Rain Stops Falling?

The first time that I travelled to Honduras alone was in September of 2019, which, if you didn’t know, is prime hurricane season. I knew that, but United sent me a message saying that Houston would be experiencing heavy rain during my layover, I didn’t think anything of it. Once I got to the Houston airport however, and the rain shifted from a drizzle to the heaviest downpour I had ever seen, I changed my tune.

They called it a tropical depression. The rain was a wall, surrounding the entire airport. You couldn’t see anything past it, but you knew all the havoc it was wreaking from the news reports on your phone. All flights were grounded, nobody coming in and nobody going out. My flight got rescheduled to the next morning, and I knew I would be lucky to get out that early.

I spent a whole day and night in that airport terminal. Surrounded by other stranded passengers, pilots, and airport staff who couldn’t risk trying to get home. We were all stuck in the middle of this storm, forced to watch it roll out, unsure of what would happen next and unable to do anything about it. By the time night fell the rain had quieted down, no longer a deafening roar, but there was still that possibility that it could start up again and drown us all out.

This is what I thought of when I read Guimarães’ description of  the Shipibo word jenetian and how this kind of rain can be a metaphor for the situation the Amazonian cultures are in. My 28 hours stuck in that storm gave me just the smallest bit of insight into what that feels like, and I know that it was nowhere near the worst of it. These Indigenous peoples are living in that storm, and they have been for a while. Homan describes several instances in which the Amazonians have been rained down on, but how do they build up again in the aftermath? What are they left with when the storm passes and their voices can be heard again?

« »