Previously used for Latin American Studies 303

These Tears are For You

Being a very emotional person, the title of Andrea Noble’s article “The Politics of Emotion in the Mexican Revolution: The Tears of Pancho Villa” instantly caught my attention. I personally love to feel things, whether it be happiness, joy, sadness or frustration. I want to feel it all, because my feelings are a huge part of what inspires me to take action, to do things. Some of the worst years of my life (so far anyways) were lived when I was trying to feel as little as possible. Unfortunately, that seems to have become a goal for a lot of people over the years. Emotions can be hard to deal with, but they can also be full of power and potential. So I love the way that Noble focuses on emotions being more than something that we feel, but something that actually takes action.

One of the key actions of emotions is, of course, showing them. To show or not to show is a decision, an action. To cry or not to cry. These are universal actions, something we all do at one point or another in our lives. However an interesting point that Noble made, that I had not previously considered, is that the way and situations in which we perform these actions and show our emotions shows a lot about how we relate to each other. Particularly, I find the idea that our tears are a performance for an audience “to whom the tears are addressed” (252) extremely interesting.

Of course, having established that emotions are an action and therefore, something that is performed, it makes sense that our tears could be considered a performance. I’ve certainly heard the phrase “putting on a show” in relation to someone crying hysterically in public. However, this has always seemed to me like a cheapening of the emotion. That if it was being performed for other people then it couldn’t possibly carry the same meaning. Despite that, the idea that our tears would be addressed to an audience carries its very own weight and potentially a whole new meaning. It provokes a response, as Noble suggests, in the same way that a letter addressed to your house provokes you to open it, read it, and respond. Tears (and all emotions) are another form of communication, certainly.

Now, having come to this understanding, I realize that many people do not hold this same viewpoint. I certainly have been told many times to quit my crying and use my words, because my audience was unaccepting of my tears as a way of explanation. I’m not sure whether that is something individual or cultural, though perhaps it is individual pretending to be cultural. So my question to the class is this: do you believe that tears are a form of communication? Furthermore, do you think that one’s acceptance of tears as a form of communication is influenced more by their individual beliefs/experiences or by their culture?

« »