Previously used for Latin American Studies 303

I Can Sing Your Song but I Still Don’t Know Your Story

I had a lot of thoughts as I read through the reading for this week, but especially going through Muehlmann’s “A Narco without a Corrido Doesn’t Exist.” I found myself trying to explain the behavior of those who produce and partake in this specific genre of music. I looked at it through all of my different lenses, as a behavioral neuroscientist, as a Canadian, as someone who grew up poor, as someone who grew up near the most dangerous parts of Canada, as someone who grew up around a lot of drug  and violence culture. I tried to find an explanation, a rationale, even as I read that there is no general consensus among scholars as to why narco-corridos are so popular.

I thought maybe it was a “if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em” situation. Like the people had seen the government and officials try to snuff out drug trafficking and it wasn’t working, so they figured they might as well get something enjoyable out of the situation. I can definitely understand how powerful it feels to be able to relate to someone who started out with nothing and (in one way or another) made a name for themselves in the world. To be able to imagine yourself conquering your enemies, being in control, is a very alluring concept, especially when you’re in a position of poverty (as Muehlmann mentioned many of the listeners are).

I also think that there is something very attractive about un-censorship. These narco-corridos are supposed to represent “la pura verdad”, nothing but the truth. In a time and place where you don’t get that a lot, I can imagine you’ll take all the truth that you can get, even if it’s violent and ugly. Even if it hurts. As shown by the black-market videos that Muehlmann discusses, the people want to know what’s going on. It’s a form of protest, in a way, against all the censorship, corruption, and violence. It may even be a way to make the narco-trafficking tangible to the people in a (relatively) harmless way, so that they can understand what’s going on.

However, as I sat and thought of all of these different possibilities, I reminded myself that I may never fully know or understand the reason. With all of my experiences, I don’t know exactly what it’s like to grow up around narco-trafficking culture, and I never fully will. The fact of the matter is, things don’t work the same in Canada as they do in Mexico, or Peru, or any other Latin American country. I think that’s a big common problem with the US government interfering in foreign affairs, as seen in all three of the readings this week. We can’t use our solutions to fix their problems.

We can all sing narco-corridos all day long, but we still won’t ever understand what its really like to be a drug lord.

My question for the class is this: why do you think people like narco-corridos? Can you identify which lens you have that makes you see it that way?

« »