Pedagogy

To bring about creating a strong sense of classroom community, where students feel comfortable, safe and included I aim to do things that get the entire class communicating, collaborating and working together for a common purpose. This can be in the form of a full class initiative to raise funds for a cause, or charity group, volunteering with a local organization or a class project to improve something within the school. One a smaller scale, having students work in groups on occasion is a great way to get kids to know each other. I will be fair in giving students time, support and whatever resources I have at my disposal to make sure they know I care about their learning.

It is essential to make it clear that the classroom environment is a safe space to ask any questions, and share views and thoughts regarding the content. A way to establish this early on in the year is to practice debates and the proper conduct surrounding the activity. Here you could teach students how to formally structure a debate, and skillfully argue a point, while practicing respect in the classroom, and how to manage conflicts that may arise. Having students learn to manage their emotions is integral to establishing the classroom as a safe space.

To increase student interest in class subject matter I will make an effort to personalize learning. One strategy is to simply give student’s choice in how they want to demonstrate their skills and knowledge for a given assignment. This allows them to work within their preferred learning style. Give multiple options for assignments to help students bring as much of their personality into the creative process as possible

Adaptations are at the heart of personalized and differentiated learning and they will vary from student to student and class to class. The classroom is full of diversity and designing an individualized homework plan, which caters to the student’s preferred learning style, is an effective option for someone struggling to finish homework or study. The teacher can design questions, notes, problem-based activities or incorporate whatever methods help that specific individual. This is a lot of work, but by knowing your students this process can be made easier. Teachers can also alter the physical environment of the classroom. They can set up the classroom space in a manner that supports diverse learners by designating an area for students to work in groups, allowing students to have headphones in if they are using them appropriately, have couches for students who want relax while they work, and give students who want to work independently the chance to. The focus of differentiated strategies is to give students the opportunity to demonstrate their learning in multiple ways, so as teachers we need to provide students with options and be open to class suggestions.