Jun 24 2011

One Foot in the Past, One Foot in the Future

Published by at 5:56 pm under Musings

This is the time of year when we are winding down the school year and wrapping up the work that has been ongoing for many months. We packed up the netbooks in our blended e-learning project, picked up the Kindles from our adolescent boys reading project, rounded up the document cameras and flip cameras for our assessment For learning inquiry project – all to be stored safely here at our central office, ready for re-deployment to the classrooms next year. So many reports to complete, so many budgets to wrap up. And yet, my new Superintendent (reassigned just last week to my secondary school department) now needs me to prepare all of the plans for next year. Can I say I am just too darned tired to think that far ahead? I hope he understands…after all, I have a Moodle site to build – One that I am SURE will be the end of me.

When I talk to my IT department about my struggles with html, they look at me in bewilderment – WHY would I ever have to deal with html in a WYSIWYG world? So they are NO help! I keep telling myself, that if you really want to learn how to drive, you need to know how engines work, and how to change a tire – the real basics of the car…so that is how I am trying to justify my frustration with code! I tell myself it will make me a better person right? Please tell me I am right!

2 responses so far

2 Responses to “One Foot in the Past, One Foot in the Future”

1. John Eganon 25 Jun 2011 at 2:22 am

Hang on–you’re not trying to write your own code are you?

It’s important to know the basics for troubleshooting (and for formatting things like Vista forum postings), but you should be using a WYSIWG editor like Amaya or Dreamweaver.

Life IS too short!

2. bcoureyon 25 Jun 2011 at 2:36 am

thanks for the reassurance John! I’m awfully glad to hear that!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS