Link Week 10 – Attention Economy (Brian Ham)

Brian Ham:  https://blogs.ubc.ca/brianhametec54066b/2020/07/17/task-10-attention-economy/

Patricia McLean:  https://blogs.ubc.ca/course9fa832d3ed5e9bc0e2a4b9d769b3ff09f6e98b71/wp-admin/post.php?post=149&action=edit

I chose this link because Brian’s experience with the actual game was totally different from mine.  My level of frustration got the better of me so soon in the process that I failed to complete the game.  After reviewing Brian’s excellent post, in my opinion, my frustration impeded my enthusiasm to take a step back and properly consider and appreciate the technical aspects of the game that link to our study of text(s).

Reading Brian’s blog regarding the “Use Inyourface Game” identified the following concepts and themes in the game and their relationship to common text frameworks.  Brian’s blog reminded the reader that there exists a commonly accepted semiotic frameworks for user interface design in technology – and that by digressing from same, the game player typically encountered challenges in the beginning, before realizing the counterintuitive game design.  (It was interesting Ernesto’s discussion of the 1990’s history and debate about what type of symbols were best in web design to assist the user in almost figuring out how to use same).

Brian had a detailed discussion of the various parts of the design.  He identified, interestingly, that his time at 7 minutes, may have been better than other students because at age 41 he had seen some of the worst design elements before and could more easily deal with them.  His point about age is interesting in that he has had to go through the various stages of design before arriving where we are today.  And, as I am aware in other work, if you have had to live through mistakes, you are more likely not to make same in your own work.

Brian’s blog is hosted on WordPress, the same tool I used to present my blog.  The tool is pretty good (in my opinion).  It allows the user to draft (and save drafts) of posts, add various kinds of media and when posted, easily allows reply and comments by other students.  I have sometimes seen “flashier” digital platforms for student blogs, but when the content is clearly set out in a usable format – it is a good platform choice for me.