Blog #5 CAPCON 2016 (and the year that was)

Hello everyone
For your final blog post, due Saturday, April 2 @ midnight (OK, 11:59 pm), you will  respond to CAPCON 2016. Include discussion of at least one specific panel, presentation, or showcase item, including the presenter(s)’ name and the title of the work. You may also wish to connect what you saw at CAPCON to a reflection on your year in CAP. Comments are due by class on Tuesday, and we’ll talk about the blogs then.

While I have you here, I’ve been meaning to share with you a documentary photography series, Heroin Users Help Us See Photos of Addiction Differently, that I read about in the Vancouver Sun and thought of in relation to our discussions of Through a Blue Lens and Missing Sarah. It’s posted on medium.com/vantage, a website that features documentary photography about all kinds of subjects, and thus connects to our interests in archives, representation, agency, and life narratives.

Enjoy CAPCON!

Laurie

1. In response to Anna’s blog post- Of all of the presentations you touched on in your post, “Unlearning the Colonial Gaze” is one that I would like to comment on. I personally believe that in order to solve issues regarding our own colonial benefits we’ve experienced, not only with the Aboriginal peoples of Canada but in India, Africa and when interacting with their descendants, we have to adopt their mindset and their lead. For example, it’s in no way appropriate for an outsider to counsel a tribe on their own matters which is why we have to listen and remain receptive to what those individuals wish to contribute. Further, to continue to repair the damage done following the post colonial collapse experienced by much of the world, those colonial powers need to set aside their pride and be receptive to what the Aboriginal cultures in tht region wish to say.
    In response to Rachel’s blog post- I unfortunately was unable to watch the “The Body that is Not Yours” presentation because I was watching another at the time, but I definitely wish I could’ve been in two places at that time. One of our generation’s greatest aids and hindrances has been social media for the reason that we can actively change our own public image more times than we can change anything about ourselves. Previous generations haven’t compared themselves to others as much as they do now and while that can foster some brilliant competition, it also proves fruitless as there’s no point to do that. Human beings are intrinsically comparable to others, but clearly in our generation with the unhealthy competition that is forced upon ourselves unknowingly, it’s definitely not the greatest thing we’ve done.
    In response to Seana’s blog post- As another who grew up in the U.S. where the infusion of cultures, languages and food was so rampant, I definitely understand what you’re feeling with cultural interaction. However, a presentation about the cultural mixing that occurs and what happens when it does is something that I haven’t actually thought of. Given my understanding from Sociology, either assimilation or a mosaic will erupt, but it’s definitely interesting to hear that a presentation at CAPCON was made about this. Conversely, their example was pretty spot on, as Chinese and Japanese Canadians are in a way underrepresented in our society as they are more encouraged to assimilate into the greater Canadian culture rather than add their own culture into the mix. However, Canada does handle multiculturalism a little better than most, as it’s not so much a melting pot, but a mosaic. Excellent post!

2. Blakely: Although I was unable to attend Isabelle Semmelhack’s spoken word performance at this year’s CAPCon, Blakely’s description and analysis of it seems to tie into important themes of our course including representation and ethics. In our society, when an individual from the dominant, powerful group in the status quo speaks out for a marginalized group, it often creates controversy. In a way, I completely understand this controversy: a person from the group of oppressors is attempting to represent the experiences of a person from the group that has been oppressed. It seems wrong, even exploitative to spread experiences that someone from the dominant group will never have to experience. However, at the same time, using one’s societal power can help garner awareness for a cause. I think that when representing a marginalized story, a person from a dominant group must think critically about whether what they are saying will help dismantle or will reinforce the effects of centuries of oppression, racism and colonialism.

Rachel: I found Rachel’s description of the presentation “The Body That is Not Yours” by Ina de Weerdt, Peijia Ding and Nico Jimenez very eye opening. While I was not personally there to watch this presentation, I think I would have found it very relatable. Our generation puts a great deal of pressure on social media presentation, and although I slack on this, my sister is adamant about maintaining her social media image. For her and many of my peers, this obsession seems demanding. It entails constant checking of others’ social media, taking loads of photos and posting photos at the “right” time when they are more likely to get more “likes”. I find this behavior very unhealthy because the presentation of one’s life on social media is not accurate—in fact, it seems to operate solely to impress others.

Mishal: I found Mishal’s blog post very thought provoking. I, as well, attended the presentation of riots and sports she wrote about in her blog and I found it very interesting to think about the connections between government and riots. I also thought the presenter did a very good job putting personal examples in her speech and offering a really first-person perspective that most people at UBC would not have. Moreover, I thought Mishal’s revised definition of a ‘global citizen’ is really important because it highlights that first, in a globalized world it is important to be open minded but to not forget where we came from and our traditions and, second, that the reality is that inequality is rapidly growing between MDCs and LDCs, a fact that is easier to ignore living the privileged, North American lifestyle that most of us do.

3. Blog Comments:
    JOE- I too was there for the panel on the effects of modernization on the environment, and similar to you I was impressed with my fellow classmates ability to connect together environmental phenomenas to the highly industrialized cattle ranching industry. I recalled this topic being touched on in our Geography class and, while I didn’t choose it as my essay topic, it was fascinating to see the way my fellow classmates understood the class we all go through. I think this panel was a true test to the diversity of perspectives from the students in CAP. While, as you pointed out, the panel seems to be not in favour of modernization due to of the effect on the environment- I would be interested to apply their findings to Maslows 5 stages of a modern society that we leaned about in Geography and see how the phenomena of Cattle Ranching and that theory would work together.

BLAKELY- While I was not present for Isabelle’s spoken word I am hesitant to accept with out pause that it was completely in her place to perform a spoken word speaking for a minority group that she, herself, is not a part of. I agree that in order for any social movement to enact change all groups within society must be willing to change, work, and support each other. However, when someone performs a spoken word, the piece becomes their own- scholarship is done on this, pointing out that the content of a spoken word is owned by the individual that performs it because the way the content is received is so dependent on the way the performer delivers it to the audience. I cant say much else because I was not there to watch it, but if she was able to fill the silence of this marginalize group in a manner that was respectful and did not put her own opinions and bias on the issues taken up, then I feel like it might be an interesting way to open up a discussion on this topic. This is, however, very difficult to do.

CHIPO- I enjoyed reading your blog post because I also enjoyed “Vancouver Doodle Stories”. I thought it was interesting that we identified with two different instalments. I remember talking to you early on in the year in all the places you have called home and I have talked to many of my fellow classmates in UBC that have similar experiences to that. In a way, I feel the same way, while there is definitely a place that I can identify as the place I grew up, I was always somewhere in between two cultures. I was not hispanic and I didn’t fully identify with what would be considered “american culture”. My comfort food is not mash potatoes and sweet corn, it is Arroz Con Pollo and Tostones with a large Cafe Con Leche. In some ways my identity is rooted in the grey area between the two cultures in Miami, and I think you found identify in your passport- a physical thing that represented the worldly upbringing you received.

4. In response to Emily’s blog post: I also found Rachel Lau’s presentation to be really fascinating; I wrote about it in my blog post as well. I was interested to see how, in your post, you drew connections across all our CAP classes. Marginalized or stigmatized groups are certainly a recurring theme in our ASTU class. You connected it to Cockeyed, but I can also see how it could be connected to Missing Sarah – Maggie de Vries recognizes sex workers and drug addicts as stigmatized people whose voices aren’t heard enough. Throughout her memoir, she allows several of them to speak, in an effort to eliminate this stigma.

In response to Seana’s blog post: Unfortunately I was not there to see Estephania Solis and Lara Blacklock’s project but it sounds like it was really interesting. Culture assimilation/mixing is an interesting topic, especially for us living in a multicultural society. You talked about how the presentation explored the struggles faced by people immigrating, such as language barriers. This makes me think of Fred Wah’s Diamond Grill, where he recalls the challenges faced by his family. In particular, I am thinking of the passage wherein Fred Wah’s father is supposed to deliver a speech in English and struggles with a word because of the fact that English is not his native language. Certainly, immigrating to a country with a different official language presents a significant challenge to many immigrants.

In response to Charlotte’s blog post: I was able to watch some of Anna’s presentation as well, and I also thought Anna did a nice analysis of popular reception to testimonio. The idea that the west shapes or conforms narratives to a certain framework is certainly an interesting one. Looking back to our readings from the beginning of this year, I can see some connections. For instance, Whitlock’s “Protection” looks at how asylum seekers need to tell their stories in a certain way, in order to be granted asylum. With processes like these, authenticity becomes a question.

5. Seana:
    One thing that struck me about your blog was the hybridity of the languages in Miami you mentioned: ‘spanglish.’ As I was reading it I had flashbacks to my elementary school where the students in french immersion were often accused of speaking “Franglais” (a combination of français and anglais) when our grammar or vocabulary was infused with English. On the playground at recess we would often hear conversations along the lines of “yeah but dude that’s franglais, you can’t say that, you have to say…” or students helping the ‘Englishers’ (our nickname for the students in the English stream) with their ‘Fr-english’ before presentations or tests. Within this childish banter there is a clear connection to one of the major themes of CAP that has impacted the lives of so many around the world: globalization. The hybrid of languages and cultures has become so engrained into the lives of our generation that it is only when looking at multicultural cities like Vancouver ethnocentrically that we are able to glimpse the extent to which our society has been affected by globalization.

Emma:
    Although I have never seen Avatar, I also was captivated by what Vanessa Chan, Caroline Cassinelli, Niki Lonstantinovic and Melissa Tan had to say about the show. I found that their in depth analysis of the characters and reception of the show was very relevant as children are increasingly exposed to a growing range of television shows. And while it’s undoubtedly cute to see a little boy singing “noooo ooooone fights like Gaston…” young boys are being taught that in order to be attractive to a girl he must be a fighter with a “thick neck” (Disney, 1991). I believe that shows such as Avatar whose characters break the gender, age, racial and cultural stereotypes are imperative to healthy development of young children. It is absolutely critical that characters like Katara, who as you said “push away” gender stereotypes, are being put out into the world on entertainment for young children.

Rachel:
    I also really enjoyed “The Body that is Not Yours” and wrote about it in my blog, however I appreciate the perspective you took in talking about the impact of social media on body image. I wonder, based on your blog and your experience of viewing your body in a different way, if though globalization and social medial the standards of beauty will eventually begin to mesh so that there is a global standard of beauty rather than regional or national criteria for what is considered beautiful. I wonder if through social media there will be a universal standard of is beautiful or attractive? Or will racial, financial and cultural standards override the standards set out on social media? In a perfect world there would be no set standard of beauty towards which people of every age strive, however, that seems far fetched considering the impact beauty standards have in so many aspects of our lives from the advertising industry to the production and consumption of cosmetics to filters on Snapchat that make eyes bigger and faces thinner. Ultimately, I hope that one day there will be a presentation at CAPCON in which students present a historical analysis of how teenagers and young adults used to feel that their bodies weren’t good enough due to unachievable standards set by photoshopped models and special effects.

6. Seana: I really enjoyed reading your blog, and, although I didn’t hear the presentation you were speaking of, I was able to relate to what you mentioned about the clash of cultures in your home town. The two predominant cultures in my small town is American and Mexican. A lot of the families immigrated to Washington in search of work in the apple orchards aplenty, creating their own source of community within their work. Chelan, being a town surrounded by orchards, is home to many Hispanic immigrants and American immigrants alike. While there has no doubt, and is still, much assimilation of the Mexican families, I feel like there has also been a shift in the culture of Chelan as simply an ‘American’ town. It has taken on some of the traditions, language and food that has been brought up from the south, which has allowed it to prosper into the growing community that it is today. The one that I am very happy to call home.

Chipo: Reading your blog was very interesting, and engaging as a reader. I’ve always enjoyed listening to stories, and it always adds an extra layer of suspense when the narration is over top of someone’s amazing artistic abilities. I hope that Vancouver Doodle Stories is on YouTube, because I would very much like to watch it. I also really enjoyed how you gave examples of shows from today that portray more than just the stereotypical boy/girl blahblahblah that too many media outlets portray. To tell you the truth though, before reading your blog I had no idea that Adventure Time was so convoluted and progressive. It slightly restored my faith in humanity, and I hope that shows like these will help influence the younger generation in positive ways as the world continues to grow.

Colleen: Both you and Rachel blogged about Ina de Weerdt, Peijia Ding and Nico Jimenez’s presentation called “The Body that is Not Yours” on Mill’s idea of Sociological Imagination and Body Image. Your focus took a turn that I was not expecting, and found deeply saddening, already starting to body shame children before they even have a mind to even think about what body shaming even means. It’s the idea that parents would do this to their babies that is even more sickening. Just like their title suggests, The Body that is Not Yours would have started for these children at the age of basically nothing. Social media, as Rachel mentions, plays a MAJOR factor into how young kids, girls especially, think about their bodies, so it is up to the older, well our, generation to set good examples for the kiddos coming our way.

7. In response to Seana’s blog I found you concept of “Spanglish” very interesting. While it is a very poor Adam Sandler in my opinion, I think it is a very Intriguing concept. The hybridity of language is an interesting concept. Similar to the way your friends grew up in Miami, one of my better friends from high school was from Mexico and his family still lived there. So while he spoke adequate english, i would always hear him send Spanish messages to his family and mixing in english words. As well after those messages he tended to work and few Spanish words in from time to time when he would find the right english word to express himself. As well i enjoyed for representation of the media project. i briefly looked at it and it seemed like like a very intriguing project.

In responce to Emma’s blog i to watched Avatar growing up but i most recently re watched the whole series due to not be able to walk with out crutches for most of last summer. I however was unable to see this presentation but from what you have described it seem very interesting. furthermore, in reading your commentary it was interesting to get a deep look at the characters. I discover more about their roles and discover a new perspective on one of my favourite old shows.

in responce to Blakely’s blog I was unable to watch Isabelle spoken word but have heard a lot about it. from reading your response to it i can see the large connection it can make to what we have been learning this year. However, in reading other comments I share a leave of hesitation in repenting a minority group you are not part of. Nevertheless, as we have discussed this year for real change to happen it must be a global push. your description of what your research paper topic was very intriguing to my. Using rap as a medium, looking at those specific artist has made me really want to read your paper to see what connections you have made.

8. Joe: First off, excellent post! I was unable to attend that CAPCON event yet reading your blog made me feel as if I was there the entire time. The topic seemed to be something very relevant in the world today. I find it shocking how consumption and the cattle industry have links to environmental harm. Now on the note of palm oil, I had no idea that the Indonesian state controls majority of that industry at all. I recall hearing how palm oil extraction can be very harmful especially within Indonesia. I am shocked that what is going on in Indonesia has been under the radar. On that note, I like how you mentioned the EU’s plan to make use of biofuel which would require more extraction of burnable natural oils which happen to be located in Indonesia. The situation does not seem easy to get around. I hope you are right and more corporations make more of an effort to halt past environmental mistakes.

Mishal: That’s awesome that you overcame doubts and ended up presenting at CAPCON I know that was one of the reasons I did not present as I have a little stage fright. I found the rest of your post regarding Sepideh Najarnia’s presentation quite interesting. I was going to attend that presentation as well but I decided to remain in the south room. I have heard of rampant riots occurring in countries under dictatorship rule however, I was not able to make the connection between riots and dissatisfaction until reading your post. It seems like what sent her point home was those real life examples, now I really wish I saw this presentation. I agree with your personal connection to Pakistan were everyone is just following the dominant media viewpoint which is far from the truth, it is strange how some things remain below the radar. I can connect to what you said about Pakistan with India actually. Again when people make mention of India, they only know what the media tells them which speaks nothing of the political issues in the country especially between the Indian government and the Sikhs in Punjab which as you probably know have been segregated since partition. In the end, I like how you applied your new viewpoint of the world as a result of CAP into a better definition. I think the definitions we had to do in September served as a point of reflection come April.

Tanvi: This was an excellent post! I also watched the presentation regarding Avatar as the Last Airbender. When listening to the presentation, I actually thought of how one of your earlier blogs drew attention to Hollywood’s white washing. After hearing this presentation, I understood what you meant by whitewashing after the presenters showed the differences in characters from the animated series to the actual film. I find it silly how the director of the Last Airbender movie decided to overlook what made the actual show so special to many of us who watched it as children. I agree with your final statement of how CAP helped make the first year of UBC special. CAPCON was a good time I wish I stayed for the whole length.