How Can a Culture Exercise Place Based Education With the Disappearance of Place?

We live in a rapidly changing world culturally speaking, however for the most part the physical land which we have lived on has continued to exist. In our time it is likely that we will witness the first recorded examples of cultures physically losing their land. In this I am speaking of the Polynesian and Melanesian islanders who live on island chains soon to succumb to sea level rise.

In reading the lecture “The Wayfinders” by Wade Davis I learned of the amazing knowledge of the seas these people carried from generation to generation. Wayfinding in the Pacific is an oral tradition nearly lost, but is among the more known gems found in Polynesian culture. What other understanding lies at sea level, soon to be erased from this planet?

I will be among the party in Bali meeting the Hokule’a as they arrive, and have been in discussions  with them for a while. I am interested if they see part of their mission as preserving what can be preserved of these cultures, and if they see a possibility of Vanuatans, Tongans, and others to maintain their culture in their diaspora through technology. Furthermore, how can the languages, mythologies, and world views of these peoples be part of the education for their place-less children?

1. Noan,
    That is so interesting. I have been reading about how the tribal people here (in Borneo) use wayfinding in the jungle too! It was being referred to as ecological literacy. Will the Polynesian people you are meeting with be using technology to pass on this oral tradition? Your posting connects to my research project as I am trying to uncover how the Penan are passing on their history in the face of a dying language. How will historical information of the jungle be recorded for posterity?

1. Wow, that is really interesting Revathy. I know that the group I am meeting with is interested in spreading certain principles within their culture through digital means, and they have expressed an interest in using ELearning as a medium for this. Hawaiians are very different from the Penan… they have a solid language base and like Bali, their culture is seemingly finding a comfortable place to rest in our new global paradigm.