Module 3 Resources (Lindsay Spencer)

Throughout Module 3, I was struck by the term “decolonization” and what educators can do to respond to existing structures within society. As such, I chose to focus my research in this module around changes to curriculum, particularly regarding the incorporation of indigenous languages.

Resource #1: “Decolonizing the curriculum: it’s time for a strategy”

I found this article useful because first, it reminds us that this changes to curriculum are not specific to Canada but rather, a challenge that exists in numerous places throughout the globe as a result of imperialism. Second, it breaks down the challenges and necessary changes that need to take place. Ultimately, it leaves us with a note, or a call to action. Unless a policy change is made soon, content and educational strategies will be no different in 10 years- this is not something that we can wait to change organically.

Resource #2: “Indigenous principles decolonizing teacher education: What we have learned”

This resource outlines the need for change within post-secondary teacher education programs by using the Lil’wat principles as a reference for guidance. When I reflect on my own experience in the B.Ed program, I was not equipped with the skills nor understanding to inform my practice with regarding to indigenous ways of knowing. With this in mind, how can I appropriately respond to the changes in the new curriculum? I certainly have a lot of work to do to catch up. In any case, this resource outlines where distinctions need to be made. What was of particular interest to me is the comparison of Euro-American and Indigenous ways of knowing.

Resource #3: “First Nations Languages and Improving Student Outcomes”

This paper was submitted to the Assembly of First Nations and demonstrates that there is a positive correlation between teaching students in their native language and their performance in school. The paper outlines international efforts to combat the disappearance of indigenous languages all over the world. What I found most interesting was the argument concerning immersion programs. Rather than simply offering a class in a language specific to a community,bilingual immersion programs where students learn in both English and their community’s language rendered positive results. These positive results were not just specific to their academic performance but also student engagement, self-esteem and cultural identity.

Resource #4: “What more schools need to teach bilingual education to indigenous children”

This article was published recently (June 2017) to voice the need for teaching indigenous children in bilingual environments. The argument in this article echos the ideas in my third resource. However, it also notes that the significance of this strategy was first recognized in the 1960s. Unfortunately however, due to a lack of qualified teachers and the need for community support, establishing these kinds of programs has been difficult. The article finishes with a call to support more action and investment in Aboriginal education in Australia.

Resource #5: National Geographic- Enduring Voices Project

This resources is a little different from those I have noted above. National Geographic has formed a project to digitally archive language in an attempt to combat the disappearance of indigenous languages throughout the globe. This might me a useful resource moving forward- particularly in our classrooms as we seek to improve our understanding of various communities.