Potatoes, cherry blossoms, and ukuleles

Hi there.

Long time, no blog. I know.

Between classes and things ending, and exams and job opportunities looming, I’d say I’m a little stressed out. And stress makes me mopey, which puts me off blogging. Kind of like how a sad sack of potatoes doesn’t blog.

Despite that, there are good things that have happened.

As you probably already know (if you’ve ever lived in springtime Vancouver), the cherry blossoms are in full bloom. Man, they’re sure pretty during the day, but driving down a road underneath a canopy of cherry blossoms at night is kind of strange.  The headlights reflect off them, and I get that feeling of being closed in on, like getting caught in a snow storm.

On Sunday night I went to the UBC A Capella concert at the Norm Theatre, for my friend Eleanor. I was blown away by the sheer awesomeness of their lively performance (the Disney medley was my favourite, hands down). It made me wonder why people with beautiful voices don’t go through life singing instead of speaking, other than the fact that their throats would die out. Life as a musical would be pretty cool, wouldn’t it?

Lately, I’ve taken to playing ukulele. I’m virtually a newbie at ukulele, but I’m getting the hang of it. I can play Ingrid Michaelson’s You and I, and Death Cab for Cutie’s I Will Follow You Into The Dark, and a couple of those lambasted four chord songs—namely, I’m Yours by Jason Mraz. Although I can’t really sing and strum at the same time yet, tinkering around with something-that-could-possibly-pass-for-music has been a great way to relieve tension.

My first final exam is on Saturday, so for the rest of the week I’ll be studying hard. I will also be admiring trees, strumming ukulele, and focusing on NOT being a potato. Which means that I hope to blog soon 🙂

2 responses to “Potatoes, cherry blossoms, and ukuleles