Week 7’s task was challenging in finding ways to add to the semiotic mode I used for my week one task. In my first task, I created visuals and text to assist in my reflection of my bag. After our live session with our professor, I was able to choose the multimodalities I would use.  I decided to do a video and inquorate subtitles and music; this exercise, for me, is what Dobson and Willinsky’s (2009) states “rapidly and continuously redefine the nature of literacy” (p. 1). In this respect, I used different multimodalities to continue where I left off in a continuation and extension of my original digital literacy.

After much thought, I decided to expand on how I would tell a story. Having now to write a script made me consider the sentimental value I had for my bag and speak in this oral communication using voice recording. I did not want to repeat what I had already communicated written but link both mutlimodalties. As Oppenheimer, T. (1997) observes, “They just write one thing, and then they write another one, and they don’t seem to do not develop the relationships between them.” Although he referred to “computer delusion in reagrds to word processing and literacy I felt it related to both tasks as I use different forms of communication using literacy. To do the voice recording, I used a program on my computer that I had never used before called voice recorder. I discovered how to pause to resume and then how to upload to Wondershare. After several tries and eliminating the background noise, I recorded my voice’s non-noisy-sounding audio recording.

This task allowed me to reflect on the experiences of the students in the courses I have taught. Some of the best projects I received were when students had the freedom to explore how they would communicate what they learned about their topic. According to The New London Group (1996), “Designing transforms knowledge in producing new constructions and representation of reality” (p. 76).

Oppenheimer, T. (1997). The computer delusion. The Atlantic Monthly (280)1, 45-62.

The New London Group. (1996). A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social futures. Harvard Educational Review 66(1), 60-92.