ETEC 540: Text Technologies

Task Ten – Attention Economy

I was relieved when I made it through what I refer to as “dark patterns” game as it had a hidden goal we needed to achieve, which made it tricky (Brignull, 2011). For this task, it took me 17 minutes and 46 seconds to complete after several tries. I became very anxious trying to meet the criteria for the password that asked me to include “Cyrillic character,” so not only were the instructions in small print but they used complex wording (Brignull, 2011). In addition, this game I found had tricky questions which would confuse participants; for example, when asked to select bows, all the images could have been a bow (Brignull, 2011). Once I discovered that the interface was trying to trick me, I started to enjoy playing the game once I finally figured out how to succeed. It was interesting to me when I understood their strategy in trying to confuse the participant.

“What’s clever here is that the level of deception is very subtle” (Brignull, 2011)

If you were to read the question they were asking, again and again, you would see that the wording had more than one meaning, so this was a subtle deception. While you are engaging in the game, there is a pop-up box that took me a bit of time to figure out that you have to click “send to the bottom.”

Making it through the last “Are you a human?” step. I kept thinking I completed it correctly, but each time I was forced to recheck my answers. It took me a while to realize my mistakes in selecting my answer.

Participating in this week’s task was undoubtedly mind-boggling. I was able to see the interface techniques web designers would use as a strategy to manipulate the audience with misleading concepts for consideration.

Brignull, H. (2011). Dark Patterns: Deception vs. Honesty in UI Design. Interaction Design, Usability, 338.

« »