For task two, we were asked to add annotations to a video-recorded lecture from Lera Boroditsky’s speak at the SAR School for Advanced Research (SAR) institute. We did this using the CLAS Annotation Software. I did not find it challenging as the instructions given were straightforward on accessing this software. However, after posting my annotations to the general comments, I figured out to stop the video and posting. However, because I was not able to erase my public comments, I did not repost.

Here are my annotations:

Lera used humour several times in her TED talk in conveying her research which made her knowledge sharing interesting. I also enjoyed how Alexander’s shared his knowledge about the oral tradition of the tap-dancing tap. It captivated me at the end of his performance, I cried. The sounds had a meaning of happiness and pain. They both used the arts to convey their points through images and dance effectively.

How does an artist decide whether death, say, or time should be painted as a man or a woman? It turns out that in 78 percent of such personifications, whether a male or female figure is chosen is predicted by the grammatical gender of the word in the artist’s native language. This information made me think that we need to be self-aware because if gender influences the gender of the sculpture, you design in an artist. How does this affect us in our everyday decision-making? For example, would I, as a female, be more prone to choose female students over male students in a discussion? Would I answer questions differently because I may relate more to the female’s question than the male student’s question?

Hello Whitney, I also commented on this point. The power of words and those who know how to use them are mighty; unfortunately, as history illustrates, some leaders used words to destroy many people.