Can A Teacher’s Verbal Praise Help Decrease Disruptive Behaviour Within the Classroom?

Is there a connection between disruptive behaviour and the amount of praise students receive from their teachers? A lot of current research on this topic reveals that yes there is. In fact, a lot of research emphasizes that there is a very strong correlation between disruptive behaviour and teacher-ceneterd strategies, such as teachers’ verbal praise.

One research article which shows this strong connection between disruptive behaviour and the amount of praise that students receive from their teachers is entitled, ‘Using Teacher Praise and Opportunities to Respond to Promote Appropriate Student Behaviour’ written by Tara Moore-Partin, Rachel Robertson, Daniel Maggin, Regina Oliver, and Joseph Wehby. Within the article the authors evaluate and explain how a lot of recent research shows that teacher-ceneterd stragegies are extremely important in increasing appropriate student behaviours and decreasing inappropriate or disruptive student behaviours (Moore-Partin et al., 2010). Results from a variety of research reveal that students who exhibit problem behaviour within the classroom often have high levels of negative interactions with their teacher (Moore-Partin et al., 2010). Additionally, it is noted that “many of the students identified for having or being at risk for emotional or behavioural disorders [often have a long history] of negative or neutral interactions with their teachers and receive high rates of teacher commands” (Moore-Partin et al., 2010, p. 172). Thus, the importance of using teacher-centred strategies to improve student behaviour within the classroom is undeniable.

In the article, one of the most important teacher-cenetered strategies that is discussed is, “the skillful and consistent use of teachers’ verbal praise provided contingently for appropriate behaviour” (Moore-Partin et al., 2010, p. 173). Research has shown that this teacher-ceneterd approach is an extremely successful prevention strategy as it establishes a positive classroom environment and helps to support students’ behaviour and academic needs. In addition to the use of teachers’ verbal praise, another teacher-centred strategy that has proven to be successful in decreasing disruptive behaviour within the classroom is “the provision of increased opportunities for students to respond correctly to instructional questions, tasks, and commands” (Moore-Partin et al., 2010, p. 173).

As I continue to research disruptive behaviour, I am beginning to understand the significance of good teaching practices when it comes to minimizing disruptive behaviour within the classroom. In many of my experiences in elementary classrooms so far I have witnessed how praise from a teacher has been a positive reinforcer for appropriate student behaviour; however, I never thought to observe if providing students with more opportunities to respond in class had a similar impact.

As I move forward in both my practicum and my inquiry research over the next few weeks, I will definitely start to pay closer attention to how this particular approach impacts behaviour within the classroom. Based on the ample amount of research that has been conducted in this area thus far, I assume that if I were to provide my students with more opportunities to be successful in class, I would most likely notice a decrease in disruptive behaviour. I am excited to experiment with this particular approach in my own classroom in the upcoming weeks, and hopefully, this strategy will help to improve and further develop my current teaching practices.

One thought on “Can A Teacher’s Verbal Praise Help Decrease Disruptive Behaviour Within the Classroom?”

1. This is such an interesting topic! Students who have a history of disruptive behaviour have heard their name called out for this behaviour many more times than for anything “good”they may have done – they get into a “negative rut.” Something as simple as catching a student doing something good and commenting on the positive can as you write about, begin to help reframe the way students sees themselves. As teachers too, it is important to be conscious of how many times a student’s name is used in a negative context. I am enjoying reading all about your research!