Week 10 (Final Week) Trading Game Strategies!!!

Nov 15, 2011

Today I earned a small amount of money only because of luck since I was holding 1 long contract for corn, and I did not offset it. However, based on the technical indicators, they indicated that the market just started bearish. I did not think that it would be bullish again that fast unless there are some significant news happened in the market.

I found out that the major reason why the corn market surged today was because Sinograin bought 1 million tons of corn from the U.S. Usually I was easy to disregard these kinds of news since it did not make too much effect on market price. However, this was the major reason why all the markets of the three commodities surged today (Sinograin did not just buy corn, it also bought soybean). So I marked down this news as an important news to affect the market price in order to be more sensitive about these kinds of news in the future.

Today I took 2 short positions for corn and 1 short position for each of soybean and wheat because of the following reasons:

For Corn and Wheat:

Technical indicators are still the major strategy that I used in my bidding. The indicators suggested that corn and wheat were all in the bearish mode, and they suggested that their prices would fall for a little while before they increases to cross the slow moving average again.

Soybean:

At the end of the following news, it suggests that “Still, China’s imports from Argentina and Brazil will rise, which may decrease U.S. exports to the Asian nation, Oil World said yesterday.” So I believed that the factor that affect the price today can only have effects in a very short time, probably just one day. Thus, I decided to take 1 short position for soybean.

Reference: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-16/sinograin-said-to-buy-600-000-tons-of-u-s-soybeans-to-boost-state-stocks.html

Nov 16, 2011

I earned around $440 today according to yesterday’s strategy.

I did not do anything today since I believed that the market would still be bearish for a little while according to the technical indicators.

Nov 17, 2011

Finally, based on my bidding and strategy yesterday, I earned almost $3,500 profits today by holding 1 short contract for each of the three commodities. It was quite a big success for me today since I think I did not earn that much profits before…

This is our last day of bidding in the trading game in this course…but I start missing it already…how come? aii…

Today I took 2 long contracts on Soybean and 1 long contract on Wheat for Friday based on the following reasons:

Soybean:

-China purchased the inventories of soybeans holding in the U.S, which decreases the domestic supply in the U.S. So the price of soybean will increase temporarily.

Why do I think that this news is important and significant?

Actually I was confused by all kinds of demand and supply news from all over the world before. For example, the news always said that China will import more soybean from the U.S, but it just never happens to be the case to drive the price up…However, in this news, it was stated clearly by a commodity strategist that they have observed significant purchases of soybean and the export amount of soybean from the U.S increase significantly in the past few days. And according to the news from these days, the situation matches his speaking, so I think that this might be a significant news again.

Why do I think that it was temporarily?

According to the news on Tuesday, the price surged on that day was because China increases its import of soybeans from the U.S by 600,000 metric tons. However, this surge in price only affects the market for one day. Today, according to the news again, China purchased the inventories of soybeans holding in the U.S. I think this will be a temporary surge in price since the Euro depreciated against Japanese Yen at this moment, and it implies that the Debt crisis in EU will continue to be a factor that affects the prices. (“The euro is poised for its second-straight weekly drop against the yen amid concern European policy makers can’t stop the region’s debt crisis from spreading to larger economies including Spain, Italy and France.”)

Reference: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-18/soybeans-rally-from-five-week-low-as-china-boosts-purchases-for-reserves.html

-Also, according to MACD and SMA, the fast moving average is converging to the slow moving average, and the fast moving average was about to cross the slow moving average from the above. This indicates clearer in MACD. This may imply a significant change in price movement again: the market might be bullish in the near future.

So, I took 2 long positions on soybean.

Wheat:

According to my observation about prices in these two weeks, the price movement of corn and wheat are in very similar trend (I also learned this from Rick’s class and Nick’s blog). So if either corn changes in its price movement, the price of wheat will follow its change in a small lag of time.

Also, according to the technical indicator, the market of corn and wheat should still be in a bearish mode, so I think even the movement of price of wheat changes its direction due to some reason, it will come back to bearish in the near future.

So I took 1 long position on wheat to offset the contract, and kept 1 short position on corn according to the analysis above.

However, I forgot to consider that this could be a signal for wheat to increase its price first, and corn might follow this price movement since the market bearish signal now from technical indicator was not as strong as before. So it might imply that the price of corn might increase tomorrow…

Anyway, let’s see what is gonna happen tomorrow…

Nov 18, 2011

Result: Corn kept decreasing as the technical indicator suggests, even though it does not decrease a lot. However, the price of wheat moved the opposite way as corn did: its price increases today.

The price of soybean did not increase or decrease today, so I think my strategy did not work that well today loh…but just did not lost money anyway…

Anyway, I felt so happy since I earned almost $5,000 in total in this week. I start making money!!!~Although my margin balance is still negative…but it doesn’t matter, since I think the most thing I “earned” from this game is I “learned”!!!~

Finally, my summary of this trading game (these are just my summary and the experience that I gained from playing this game). It will also be the part of my memories or strategies if I am going to continue playing this game in the future:

-Do not consider too many factors at a time

-Read more news, and sometimes we do not have to bid very aggressively. We can read news for a few days in order to consider which should be the most important factor to affect the price during the week (since we all know that the factors that significantly affect prices were different from each week)

-I start having more senses about the market and about the game after 10 weeks of bidding, and in these few weeks I figure out more about which kinds of news will affect the price after regular discussion with my classmates and reading their blogs

-Combining technical analysis and news is an effective way to bid successfully for me

-Marking down the news which has significant effects on prices for everyday or every week is very useful

-Looking at the price change at the end of the day before we bid will be helpful sometimes since sometimes it indicates a right track of price movement

…I forgot…

But I think I have already written down some of the useful strategies in my previous blogs…so I can take a look at it if I am going to play this game again in the future…

Guys, now we need to start working on our final presentation, project and exams, and good luck for all of you!!!~

7 thoughts on “Week 10 (Final Week) Trading Game Strategies!!!

1. I love how you analyzed your news by delving into why you thought China’s purchase was signficant and why you thought it was temporary. Excellent way of bringing funadmental analysis to the next level.

• Hi Nick, thank you so much for your comment!~
      I think summarizing in this way could help me to make it more clear about my strategy, and hope tat it can be helpful in the future~~hope tat works for u too~

2. Yan, you got a long blog for last update! Nice analysis! I love your way of thoughts! So happy with you in the Tech group! I think we all have a great experience doing the analysis. That’s our first time, we are just like a bird learning how to fly. Once we could fly, we would enjoy the sky. Just like doing the technical analysis. It’s hard in the begining, but we all enjoy it once we learnt the skill!
    This game ends here, but our journey just starts. Good luck!

• Haha, yea cuz it might be the last week of writing my strategy like this…so I hope to make everything summarized and hope tat it will be helpful for me if i am going to play this game again in the future…
      still feeling a little bit upset until now, but u r right, our journey just starts~~~Good luck to u too!!!~
      (and i also left a comment on ur blog:))

3. Hi Yan yan~~~
    very long blog worrr hahaha
    anyway, very nice reading ur strategy cuz u r so much more thoughtful than I am, ..as u realized from reading my blogs, i write so little about actual analysis and strategy, they are mainly stupid and random stuff haha
    anyway, yeah, first it was already very hard to find all sorts of related news, second we need to filter out the ones we think are insignificant, and third, put weights on the news articles we read. There might be several factors that could affect prices, but often only 1 or 2 will have significant impacts. I agree that technical analysis was very important, although i dont understand, i kind of take their predictions for granted hahaha
    Anyway, you sound u are really into the game, when u become a full-time trader and become super rich, lemme know! and dont forget about me! hahahha
    Thanks for sharingg! <3
    ….now..back to the 502 and 540…sigh..

4. Hey Yan,
    Good job on making profits this week! Well done!
    It seems that you did your best until the end. Good work!
    And thanks for sharing the tech analysis the other day.
    I haven’t been a big fan of tech analysis, but after reading your blog I think combining tech analysis with other factors (like news) can be a real good strategy.
    Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Yijeong

5. Hi Yan,
    Haha this blog will definitely help if you decide to play the game in the future! I like your list of “summary/list of things you’ve learned” about the trading game. I think they are really similar to mine and I agree with you. It’s hard to believe we’re at the end of this game now! Perhaps I will play in the future too. Thank you for sharing!