After reading fellow classmate Brian Chung’s blog post on disagreeing with Tim Horton CEO Marc Caira’s hopes to cut down menu items, I have actually decided that I in fact do support the CEO’s thinking. The new CEO of Canada’s own Tim Horton’s wants to cut down menu choices to increase speed and efficiency in stores. Although I agree that including more choices will attract more consumers, I do not think that it is worth doing because store efficiency will be very limited – the number of workers hired can only do so much at a time. Instead, I agree with the CEO that cutting down choices will increase store efficiency, a prime example being the Tim Horton’s at Sauder. I know that out of the entire menu, I am sure that the same people always order the same things over and over, thus Tim Horton’s should cut down menu items to the most popular choices. I cannot count the times in my head where I have decided to not go to Tim Horton’s just because of the length of the line-up and crunch in time. Imagine if the line was always short – how much more in sales would the restaurant attract? Sticking to Porter’s Cost Leadership Strategy, which has been proven time and time again as accurate, will allow the company to specialize in only a few products, but do that well.

Comment now!

Trackbacks