Engineering and Indigeneity

Reflection: Exploring Indigeneity in Engineering
As an advocate for environmental sustainability and an ally for Indigenous stewardship, I recently participated in the Ocean Wise Eco Action Accelerator program. This 16-week
part-time microgrant program, tailored for Canada Service Corps (CSC) alumni like myself, provided a platform to scale up service project ideas while focusing on long-term sustainability. Throughout the program, I delved into three interconnected components designed to support the development and delivery of my project. From a 3-day retreat in British Columbia to entrepreneurial workshops and mentorship calls, I was immersed in a collaborative environment.
My project, inspired by a previous pop-up museum, aimed to explore the intersectionality of Indigeneity and engineering in the Pacific Northwest. The museum was housed in the Fred Kaiser atrium from March 4 to March 18, situated to draw in students, faculty, and staff from Applied Science. The museum focused on design case studies highlighting how Indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest harnessed their natural surroundings through engineering to sustain their way of life.
On March 16, I hosted a launch party for friends and family, providing them with an
opportunity to engage with the museum and learn about my project’s journey. As I stood
amidst the exhibit, I couldn’t help but be overcome by a mix of emotions – grief for the lost opportunities to shape our world today using traditional knowledge, awe for the remarkable tools and techniques used by Indigenous groups, and an unwavering passion to continue exploring Indigeneity in engineering.
Reflecting on my experience, I am grateful to Ocean Wise and the Faculty of Applied
Science for their support, guidance, and resources that have empowered me to complete this
project.

Sarvpreet Brar and the pop up museum she created