Zappos – epitome of customer service?

This article talks about Zappos, which mainly focuses on shoes and clothing, along with other products, such as accessories and eyewear. Its CEO, Tony Hseh, started the company “in 1999 by selling shoes online, and has since grown to a US$1 billion per year retailer.” This was all thanks to Hseh’s “deliberate decision to re-direct its marketing budget towards delivering exceptional customer service”. Hseh makes sure that his employees live the company’s core values through a training course, “where new employees cycle through work in the Kentucky warehouse and call center”. According to the article, Hseh has even “passed on numerous experienced employees … (because) they were wrong for the company culturally.”

In my opinion, companies should adopt this strategy in order to optimize their customer services, to a large extent. I do not agree with Hseh’s method of creating a happy mood in the office, however. It is mentioned in another article that “pods of cubes (cubicles in office) is wildly decorated … space alien motif, … group of people in party hats … playing ring toss”. In my opinion, companies should set a limit as to the activities an employee can take part in, as there should still be some discipline and order in the office.