Bio

Hi!

I am Daniel Kim, a 3rd-year computer science student at UBC, pursuing the Bachelor of Computer Science program. My academic journey has certainly been interesting, to say the least. I previously graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics, with the late realization of my interest in computing during my final year of economics, where I was first exposed to computing. It was during my thesis that I first encountered programming. My thesis gave me exposure and a first-hand view of how impactful computing can be, regardless of application. As a result, I was hooked right in, and it motivated me to pursue computer science as a second degree.

My passion lies in the economics and computing space. More specifically, I enjoy applying economic theory to real-world applications and utilizing technology to maximize the utility, output, and overall impact of my projects or job settings. A recent experience was when I had the opportunity to explore these interests during my co-op with the Canadian Federal Government as a Research Engineer, where I worked on their telecommunication software used in low-populated areas. This experience allowed me to utilize my background in economics and computer science to create a positive impact on Canadians, which is what I am currently inspired to do as a career.

As I still have a few more semesters left at UBC, I am excited about the academic journey ahead of me. With my time left, I am eager to gain knowledge through my coursework, projects, and from meeting new people, with hopes of positively impacting our community.