Is It Really Worth It?

There is always a question of whether profits are more important then staying true to ones brand when it comes to an ethical dilemma within a business.  Coca-Cola is currently struggling with this internal conflict. Their brand is very supportive of gay rights and they are known for supporting human rights, yet since they are also supporters of the Sochi 2014 Olympics, Coca-Cola find themselves struggling to find a middle ground. Shomas Mah, a first year commerce student at the University of British Columbia asks the very prevalent question in his blog post surrounding this issue of, “Does Coca-Cola publicly take a stance against Russian anti-gay laws?” In my opinion, I believe that is it crucial that Coca-Cola takes a stand and stays true to what their company stands for. Their brand clearly includes their ongoing support for human rights and freedom, so it seems hypocritical to me that they would support an event that is being taken place in a country goes against those beliefs, even though if it is a huge global event such as the Olympics. Mah said it best, “If actions don’t coincide with company values, then what is the point of having company values?”

https://blogs.ubc.ca/shomasmah/