The Model Workers

qqxsgPart time workers

Continuing from last week’s post, I decided to read more about employment issues: this time, in Canada. I’m sure everyone remembers the strike that IKEA employees went on a year ago; it is in fact, still happening. A family friend who was employed at the bistro told me that her labor union paid her more per hour than IKEA ever did, and ironically, her striking schedule was a lot more secure and stable than her working one. That strikes me as being both sad and a very difficult pill to swallow.

A recent article touched on this event briefly – and expanded further more on the other problems part-time workers had. One interviewee says “I know I should [just] be happy I have a job,”. Her attitude – desperately trying to make ends meet, yet never once giving up – reminds me of the woman I mentioned last post. Their circumstances have driven them to a wall, and they’re not alone in this. 27.3% of part time workers are unwillingly part time, but have to do so in order to just simply be employed.

I want to know if there’s something to be done for those who are obviously working hard to provide for their families and their retirement plans. It just doesn’t seem fair that whenever firms and companies need to cut costs, low-wage workers are the first to go when they can barely stay afloat with a part time job.

Source:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-15-hour-workweek-canadas-part-time-problem/article20926986/