Letter of Application

13784 104 Ave

Surrey, BC V3T 1W5

September 20th, 2021

301 Technical Writing Class

University of British Columbia

1873 E Mall #397

Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear ENGL301 Colleagues:

I am interested in finding a professional writing team to collaborate with this semester. I found this posting on the ENGL301 blog. I am a first year BCS student and hope to meet like minded teammates with similar interests.

I plan to work in software development, and I hope to be involved in projects that make a significant positive impact on the world. Prior to my studies, I was a phone room support worker at the Fraser Health Crisis Line. In that role, I trained over 50 new volunteers, led 10 training workshops, and managed the schedule. During my undergraduate degree, I worked as a research assistant at SFU. I was involved in drafting, editing, and submitting an original research manuscript to a peer reviewed journal. I was listed as a co-first author and presented my findings at a poster presentation. Outside of academics, I have experience volunteering with several non-profit organizations in the community.

This breadth of experience makes me an adaptable writer in different contexts. From writing research proposals, to sending emails related to management, my insight would be an asset to a writing team. In addition, I want to improve my ability to provide helpful feedback for my peers. To address this, I will seek out resources that will help me edit more effectively in the upcoming weeks.

As a lifelong learner, I continually seek new ideas to improve my professional and personal life. Working with peers is another way to bring together different writing styles and backgrounds. This approach suits my learning philosophy quite well and I am motivated to work hard and learn from others.

Thank you for considering my application. If you would like to form a writing team with me, you contact me through email at dborrel@student.ubc.ca.

Sincerely,

Dave Borrel

Encl. 301 Dave Borrel Application Letter