About Me

This page briefly describes my academic and profession background.

My name is Dave Borrel and I am pursuing a second degree in the Integrated Computer Science program at UBC. Before entering this program, I majored in Biomedical Physiology at SFU. During my time there, I was a research assistant in a Cardiovascular Physiology lab and saw the impact technology had on producing valid results. There were many machines that captured sensitive data, and sorted through large datasets after experiments. After graduating, I worked as a support worker for the Fraser Health Crisis Line. Many times on the job, I realized the role that well designed software and technology has in optimizing service for those clients who phone for support. In both these roles, I realized how vital it is to have technology that improves the work that is being done. 

These experiences contributed toward my decision to continue my education and master more technical skills related to programming and software development. I plan to combine the lessons I learned from my professional experience and my prior education to my current studies. After the program, I hope to work as a full stack software engineer and contribute to projects that have a significant positive impact on others.