ETEC 540

Task 1: What is in your bag?

The black leather bag I choose for the assignment was purchased 30 years ago when I was on a backpacking trip in Switzerland.  I was in high school and the text technologies contained in it were quite different than today. I didn’t often carry textbooks or binders home but it would always have some CD’s and my discman along with snacks for the school day.

As I moved into University, I carried several notebooks and pens for writing notes in class by hand.  My papers were written on a Brother word processing typewriter with a screen that allowed you to view about a paragraph of typing at a time. It was too heavy and cumbersome to carry to and from class and as such, the only evidence of a digital literacy would have been the printed off papers ready to be submitted. 

Moving forward 15 years and my bag transformed once more as I became a stay at home mom to 4 boys. It was filled with diapers, wipes, books and an array of baby toys to keep them entertained when we went out.  As they grew the books became less of a focus and my bag carried their hand held devices (LeapFrog, Nintendo DS and iPads).

Today, it holds the basic things I use each day at work.  I live in the northern most city in North America so I need to carry hand lotion and after the “best summer ever” in Alberta, a spray bottle of sanitizer.  As a online teacher, my laptop goes to school and back home with me daily. Due to the long hours spent on the screen I always have a set of reading glasses. There is notebook among the items as I continue to use both paper and digital writing spaces. I use the paper to write notes during meetings and make lists of things I need to get done.  My discman has long been replaced by my smartphone and I always have a set of headphones with me to listen to music.  The smartphone keeps me connected to my  kids and gives me flexibility to work away from my desk if needed.

A daily need for work is my keycard. It not only identifies me as staff but it scans digital information to allow me into the building in the morning. The last item in my bag is a book that all the staff were given at the start of the school year by my principal that we will discuss at staff meetings. The title,  “Burnout, Burnout, Burnout”, seems more ironic than anything considering how chaotic the school year has started out.

If an archaeologist examined my bag they would see a balance between print and digital literacies. As the digital technology has overtaken much of my time, that is not an accurate representation of my day to day life and the use of each type of text is far from equal.

»