All that Glitters is Gold? British Cosmetic Company Lush Doesn’t Think so

Standard

Cosmetics company, Lush has won a significant trademark infringement action in the High Court againsSince it was reported that cancer is strongly linked to cosmetic makeup, consumers have been flocking towards a popular “natural” alternative – mineral makeup. The majority of mineral cosmetics contain mica, a glittery substance used to create a glowing complexion.

Over the last two years, India’s mica production has grown by a significant 8.5% and now accounts for 60% of the world’s mica production today.

As you could imagine, it was shocking for British cosmetic brand Lush to find out that the Indian mica they use in their handmade products encourages widespread child labor. The Australian newspaper The Age reported that an astonishing 86% of India’s mica exports were not regulated from 2010 to 2011. As a company that prides itself on using organic and ethical ingredients, Lush has decided to discontinue the use of mica in their products. The company has been using synthetic mica instead, a much safer alternative, as mica is used to give paint their shine and electronic goods their insulation.

bomvBeing a loyal Lush customer myself, I would not have continued to buy their products if the company let the issue slide. I would not use my favorite Lush bath bomb, knowing that it was made from forced labor and that my bath tub will have more shine than my skin. No beauty product is worth that kind of immoral in my opinion; I am extremely content knowing that Lush considers their workers and products before large marginal profits. This proves, time and time again, that a caring company is the perfect recipe for loyal customers and workers.

Find the original articles here and here.

All pictures are hyper linked.