Self-Assessment Reflection

Dear readers,

As we are approaching the end of the course, I would like to share with you some thoughts about this great course. In a short note, I’ve learned the importance of social networks in professional networking as well as the importance of effective cooperation in a team. With useful guidelines from our instructors and feedback throughout the course from my writing team colleagues, I have greatly improved my writing capabilities in technical communication.

The work of writing the formal report was strenuous, I find it the most challenging task to handle in this course. After brainstorming and tips from Dr. Paterson,  I chose to make a report on improving housing affordability on campus. It is no shame to admit that  I had some difficulties looking for the topic of the report and creating survey and interview questions. However, the prior assignments of progress report and memo made writing much easier and more optimized. Additionally, I also should say that this course was challenging as I have not had a previous strong background and experience in writing in a professional tone. Therefore, preparing some of the work took me more time and effort than expected, but the feeling of pleasure after submitting counterbalanced all previous struggles.

One of the rewarding features of the class is getting consistent peer reviews from other members. Peer reviewing done by team members and the final professor`s suggestions helped me to understand what aspects of my writing I should improve. One of them is Unit 3:1, where I learned to write with less use of imperative verbs. Another aspect that I improved throughout the course is reducing the number of unnecessary pronouns in texts.

After the course, I feel more confident writing professional emails and memorandums. These documents are crucial components of day-to-day communication at the workplace.  Nevertheless, I still need to work on expressions and practice my professional language as I unpleasantly often used awkward phrases.

Overall, taking ENGL 301 is beneficial for my professional progress, and how it facilitated my communication with colleagues. I would like to once again thank our instructor and my team “error 404 not found” for the fruitful collaborations and effort that you brought to my progress.