Week Three: Interviews and Case Building

by Doug Connery ~ January 21st, 2013. Filed under: Framing.

Week three of the course: January 14-20, focused on colleague interviews to help me build a case to identify an issue in Math and Science education that requires further investigation through a review of current literature. An analysis of issues and questions identified in the interview in combination with a reflection of my auto e-ography, conceptional challenges, video case analysis and unpacking assumptions narratives are the building blocks needed to decide which issue is relevant for me to create an annotated bibliography for. This will be decided next week and the resulting paper will be submitted as assignment one during week six of the course (February 4).

I conducted two 30 minute interviews, one with an Academic Chair and the other with an Instructor who is a user of technology in the classroom. Both people work at the post-secondary level. Interview questions were developed and sent out to the interviewees ahead of the interview. The questions were posted here in this blog on January 12 under the Framing page. Going into the interviews, I was interested to see if any issues relating to the readiness of students coming into post-secondary from high school to use technology would surface. Both people interviewed felt these students were better prepared compared to those coming back to school from the workforce. So I need to relax that assumption for now and examine the responses and my reflections to find a re-occurring theme to explore.

The abstract of the responses and my analysis for each question were posted here on January 19, again in the Framing page. Several issues are starting to emerge; the next step is to identify one and go with it. This will be the main task next week and to start doing the research.