Weeks Ten and Eleven: Embodied Learning and Knowledge Diffusion

by Doug Connery ~ March 22nd, 2013. Filed under: Emerging.

One may ask what these two diverse topics: embodied learning and knowledge diffusion, have in common. Through the lens of this course on Technology in the Math and Science Classroom, the commonality is they are two emerging (or re-emerging) genres of teaching, learning and digital technologies.

Embodied Learning

Embodied learning is all about learning through movement and touch. Winn (2002) believes that cognition is embodied, thus people learn through movement and touch. Further, Winn believes that our external behaviour can be used to externalize our thinking and to extend cognition beyond our brain. A couple of examples are using our fingers to count or using hand and arm gestures to help describe something. When I was growing up we called this “talking with our hands”, so perhaps embodied learning is re-emerging.

For me, physical movement gets my brain going. I find that I can explain something better when I am moving around and I find I am most creative and do the best problem solving when I am off on a long hike, cycle or cross country ski. When I think back of my time in this MET program over the last 43 months and the 10 courses (including this one), I was better able to process and digest the heavy duty academic readings if I was active after completing the readings. I was also the most creative in designing and carrying out the projects, papers and posts that I wrote while in this program after thinking about them while I was active. There is nothing better than a 5 hour road ride or cross country ski covering anywhere from 30 to 100 kilometres to develop an idea from concept to a draft in my mind.

Dr. Susan Gerofsky  (2010) describes how the use of gesture, vocal sound and movement can be used to help teach mathematical concepts related to polynomial graphing functions. She concludes with “Embodied work with gesture, movement and sound shows great promise in terms of promoting mathematical engagement and understanding in young secondary school students”  (p. 337). We were fortunate to have Dr. Gerofsky as a guest speaker in this class as she answered questions posted by different student groups. One of the questions asked was, what are some specific areas in STEM where you have seen embodied learning/gestures used as a successful teaching tool. Her examples were related to graphing included using the old standby, the Etch-A-Sketch to show x and y relationships and using a rolling chair where one student pushes in the x direction and a second pushes in the y direction with different amounts of force to demonstrate graph slope.

Knowledge Diffusion

Knowledge diffusion is where concepts and practices are shared, appropriated and changed by others (Roth 1996). The Internet has thus created a structure and opportunity for educators, students and scientists to collaborate to generate and share information, data, concepts and practices. This can be done through networked environments and applications such as virtual field trips, web-based expeditions, virtual worlds, Exploratorium and GLOBE. Below is a very brief description of GLOBE and virtual field trips describing how they contribute to knowledge diffusion.

The Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE) program is a fine example of a networked community where students can be part of scientific teams gathering, sharing, using and analyzing data. Students also have opportunities to communicate with scientists while involved with a science project which in turn gives them “a new perspective on what it is to do science and to be part of a scientific investigation” Butler and MacGregor (2003), p 17.

Virtual field trips can be used to augment actual field trips by providing a resource before and after the actual field trip. They can also be used in situations where it is not practical to go on an actual field trip because of limited resources such as logistics, time, financial or admin support (Adedokun et al; 2012). However, Adedokun et al (2012) reports that virtual field trips are not substitutions for actual filed trips and Spicer and Stratford (2001) report survey results from undergraduate students who made it very clear that virtual field trips should never be used to replace actual field trips.

Learn more about knowledge generation in networked communities on the Emerging Page.

Adedokun, O. A., Hetzel, K., Parker, L. C., Loizzo, J., Burgess, W. D., & Paul Robinson, J. (2012). Using Virtual Field Trips to Connect Students with University Scientists: Core Elements and Evaluation of zipTrips™. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 21(5), 1-12.

Butler, D.M., & MacGregor, I.D. (2003). GLOBE: Science and education. Journal of Geoscience Education, 51(1), 9-20. OR can access via this link: http://www.nagt.org/nagt/jge/abstracts/jan03.html#v51p5

Gerofsky,S. (2010). Mathematical learning and gesture. Gesture, 2-3, Gerofsky Gesture article 2011 CVPT OVPT point of view-1.pdf

Spicer, J., & Stratford, J. (2001). Student perceptions of a virtual field trip to replace a real field trip. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 17, 345-354.

Winn, W. (2003). Learning in artificial environments: Embodiment, embeddedness, and dynamic adaptation. Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning, 1(1), 87-114. Full-text document retrieved from: http://www.hitl.washington.edu/people/tfurness/courses/inde543/READINGS-03/WINN/winnpaper2.pdf