Reading sprees: many readers lighten the load

Here is a PDF version of the presentation I gave at Vancouver island University about “reading sprees” — dividing up a text and assigning different parts to different teams to teach back.

In this example I discuss the work we did in class to divide up and then graphically narrate the Truth and Reconciliation 2015 report.

Team “reading sprees” and comics: Awakening to Truth and Reconciliation. I offered this  workshop at the Teaching and Learning conference, Vancouver Island University. May 11, 2017.

Teaching reading sprees and comics: Truth and reconciliation PDF

About

Dr. Jessica Motherwell McFarlane is a professional education consultant on gender, anti-oppression and social justice issues and a research associate at the Justice Institute of British Columbia. She is also the developer and director of the Life Outside the Box program that uses visual narratives as a way to SEE conflict and injustice from new perspectives. Jessica facilitates groups and schools needing to have complex — and sometimes emotionally painful — conversations. She offers workshops to at-risk children, youth, and adults on: Truth and Reconciliation, transforming bullying situations, and rehearsing best practices for self-care, inclusivity, and kindness.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,