Students’ praise

The following are a few excepts from open letters that my students wrote to students who would some day in the future take my course. The letters consistently reveal how much the students appreciated my course activities and content that helped them UNLEARN their biases and sharpen their critical analysis skills. (Scroll down to the end to find a link to the full version all 70+ letters).

__________

This class has greatly impacted the way I view the world and people in daily interactions. I have become more aware of how my actions or emotions can impact someone else and also seeing their point of view. This is crucial for law enforcement as you will be required to interact multiple times daily and awareness of diverse societies will result in more successful communications.

__________

When I first started the journals, I didn’t understand the point of them, but as time progressed I came to understand the importance of them, and I believe that your last diversity class will prove that too. I believe I have positively grown from learning about all the diversity issues around the world in this class, and it has really expanded my knowledge in this area, which is extremely beneficial if I want to pursue a career in law enforcement. The visual intelligence textbook you will receive for this course, is of upmost importance for a career in law enforcement as it brings your focus to observation. This is something I wish I had known sooner, because it shocking how much we miss when it is right in front of us. Everything in this class is directly or indirectly beneficial for a law enforcement officer, so pay attention to everything Dr. J teaches you.

__________

Dr. J is one of the most honest and sincere teachers … (T)he 44 journals may seem intimidating, but as long as you are honest and do one each day, you will be fine. The journals … will help you observe the amount of diversity that is in our society. Had it not been for Dr. J and her journals, I would not be able to spot diversity issues as quickly as I can today.

__________

Honestly, at the beginning of this class, I really was not looking forward to taking this course but as the classes went by, I realized a lot about myself and the way I behave towards others. I learnt what my personal bias were and how to conduct myself without my biases affecting my actions. I learnt how harmful stereotypes can be and the affect they could have on my future career as a law enforcement officer if I let them. Throughout this class, you find out a lot about yourself and the people in your life and what things you may need to change in order to better yourself in preparation for your future career, no matter what that may be. My final piece of advice would be to keep an open mind. There are going to be some subjects within this class that you do not agree with, I know for me there were definitely a few, but try your best to keep an open mind and learn new perspectives because it will help you in the future.

_________

You have to always to remember to observe, this course is about noticing the things you normally would not pick up on. I look back on the first day, and I did not think I would enjoy this course. But now my whole perspective has changed. This course content affected my preparation for my future career as a law enforcement professional in many ways. I am very much aware of my surroundings at all times, and always paying attention to my blind spots.

__________

I am not going to sugar-coat it for you and say it will be an easy semester. You’re in for a tough class … For me personally, the journals were something I had great success in and as long as you stay on track with these journals, you will do great. This course will greatly assist you in your future career as a law enforcement officer, because it prepares you for what is out there in the real world. You will be interacting with people of all diverse backgrounds, and the last thing you would ever want to do is offend them.

__________

As a student who has successfully completed this course I am writing to give you some insight into how to approach and treat this course. When I walked into Dr. J’s class I was shocked by the amount of work I was going to be expected to do and the part that bothered me most was the purpose. I could not find purpose behind what we were learning or what we were doing. I was wrong, and it took me the better part of the semester to realize it. The first three rounds of journals I did I put the minimum amount of effort in, to get the marks. My fourth, and final round of journals was a complete turn around. I had previously realized Dr. J’s class was not about a whole bunch of lessons I was supposed to take away from but in turn it was about being able to find a lesson in everything in life, in your career, in the world, and in others. My journals reflected this and it was noticed by Dr. J. A factor that was a large influence on my learning of this was the required book. The Visual Intelligence book made me look at events differently and see concepts and lessons in things that I did not think had any. To conclude the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to come to this class with an open mind. I did not for two thirds of the course and this hindered my ability to learn. Dr. J has a strong opinion on many things and her thoughts and feelings will challenge your way of thinking. Do not shy from this as I can guarantee you will learn valuable things from her.

__________

Congratulations on your first day of Law Enforcement in a Diverse Society! You are about to embark on a complex journey that will open your perceptions to ideas and philosophy’s you may have never considered while challenging your own personal biases. At times the program will challenge you to think outside of your comfort zone, but if you allow yourself to let go of your personal assumptions and fears you will be rewarded with wisdom that lasts a lifetime. Your journals play a big part in enhancing your perception of the world … Remember that you get out what you put into this program, ensure you keep a positive attitude even when faced with topics that may challenge your biases.

__________

I honestly thought this class was stupid and a waste of time, and I assume you and most of your class will as well. Forgive me if this is not true; I can only speak from my experiences. But throughout the course, there have been moments – powerful moments – that changed the way I saw things, changed the way I thought about things, and/or changed the way I behaved. Take what you learn with a grain of salt, sure, but also open your eyes to the possibility of profound change.

__________

You do not know this yet, but you are about to go through a class where all the changes that happen to you will help shape the person who you will become in a diverse community. Throughout this course, I have learned to analyze situations in the correct manner. The one success I am most proud of in this class is writing the diversity journals. These journals have helped me develop as a person because I became better at analyzing diverse situations. … My advice to you now is to use what this class offers you to your advantage and do not be afraid to ask for help and step out of your comfort zone.

__________

Diverse society is nothing like you ever imagined it to be. You do not know this yet but it will dramatically change the way you observe things. You will encounter experiences and people that will make you happy. You will find all sorts of new things about different people’s backgrounds and their religion which you never knew about. I had many successes and challenges that faced me. … All the course content we have covered really helped me shape to be a better person overall. A few things I learned was do not be judgemental, always be open minded, take time to observe things and always know your blindspots. Last but not least I highly recommend this class to anyone and it will definitely get your money’s worth and you are very lucky to take this course.

__________

This class you are about to take with Dr. J is the most life changing class you will ever take in the first semester of university. … (M)ake sure you do not panic about the numerous of journals you will have to write, they might seem difficult at the start, but when you actually start writing them, they are very easy and actually make you see the world differently.

__________

There is a lot to take from this course, so do not take it for granted. Dr. Jessica Motherwell is a fantastic teacher that is genuinely passionate about the subject and wants her students to succeed. You will enjoy this course.

__________

LAWS 1207 will build upon the things you have learned but focusing more on developing your observation skills. There are things that we normally zone out on when we are in the field but this class will teach you how to critically think about your surroundings and your reactions towards what is happening in the world. Furthermore, you will learn how diversity affects the areas you place yourself in and how to step out of your comfort zone. … This course … helped me grow as an individual pursuing law enforcement and expanding my horizons and I believe that it will help you as well.

__________

Even though I did not like this class in the beginning of the semester, the lessons I got from Dr. J were truly inspiring for me. A number of lessons teach me a better way to deal with social discriminations like racism and sexism. I am sure you will find them useful as well. This course teaches me that police officers should be able to adapt into different cultures. This course also teaches me that police officers in a multicultural nation like Canada must not have any biases or stereotypes toward a specific ethnic group. It is one of the most valuable lessons I have ever had.

__________

This diversity class is going to change how you view your peers, the opposite sex, different religions, and the diverse backgrounds that all people come from. When I first took this course, I was not looking forward to it. I felt it would all be common sense, mundane, repetitive, and boring. Truthfully, it does discuss a lot of things that you would hope are common sense among your peers, but unfortunately, much of what you are going to learn will shift your thinking and broaden your personal horizons. This course challenged me to be more honest with my peers, read material(s) that I would have never read before, and dig deep within myself to not only dissect my emotions, but to analyze them, too. … Moving forward, this course is definitely going to change how I deal with the public in my career in policing. I have more empathy, understanding, and patience for those that I come into contact with daily. Furthermore, I am more transparent with my peers as I have learned that honesty is truly the best policy.

To read over 70 students’ letters of praise for my Law Enforcement in a Diverse Society course click here.