Screenside fire-telling about this mess we’re all in

How evil came into the world…

The truth comes out when the fire burns low.

Hope you take a moment and have a listen, played by some good ol’ hurtin’ Albertan.

Some folks, they like long walks on the beach, others like nice restaurants, some people go bowling. Not me, I like the snapping and crackling of a good beach fire, silences and the crashing of the tide.

Suffice it to say I am out of my element. This is the first time I’ve ever recorded myself, so the quality might not be the best. I normally only tell by fireside, so I had evening full of firsts putting this together. It feels like a learning curve, anyway.

You are welcome to listen, but I’ll warn you, you can’t unhear this story. To learn more about brochs, click here. It is my take on how Thomas King tells of how evil got into the world.

New Brunswick moss for you to look at while you listen to me ramble on.

A few things I picked up this week:
-> Speaking for 5 minutes without butchering a word is hard.
-> Editing with sound software is difficult. I now have a lot more respect for podcasts.
-> It’s a lot easier to weave my own stories then try and retell someone else’s.

Recording stories is an interesting form of media, but every time I tell a story it is a little different. It fits the context I am in, my mood and the mood of listeners. Recording takes spoken word out of this context, and I think something is lost with the context. Listening to a recording on a sunny morning is entirely different from a night-time beach fire.

As always, Comments questions criticisms!

Broch, Allie. “The Alot is Better Than You At Everything” Hyperbole and a Half.  14 April 2010. Web. 23 Jan 2014.
Lund, Corb. “The Truth Comes Out” Youtube. YouTube, LLC, 28 Jun 2007. Web. 23 Jan 2014.
King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. Peterbough:Anansi Press. 2003. Print.
Scotland Government. “Brochs” Scotland’s History. Education Scotland. Web. 23 Jan 2014

5 thoughts on “Screenside fire-telling about this mess we’re all in

1. keelyhammond

Hi Duncan! I would really like to listen to your story, but every time I click on the link, the page doesn’t seem to load. Even when I copy the link to the mp3 into a new page/refresh things, it won’t appear. Any thoughts on how I can get around this?

1. duncanmac Post author

Hm. Can you right click or cntrl click the page? Is it blank or does it give a broken file symbol? Or simply perpetually loads? I could try uploading in a different format (ie. non-mp3) if there is one in particular that works for your operating system.