Assignment 1:5

by EmilyHomuth

The world was at war. It had been ever since Abby was born and since long before anyone lucky enough to be alive could remember. Countries no longer existed, alliances had long since fallen and no one could remember words like armistice, let alone peace. No one could remember why the war started or what the current fighting was about but Abby knew. Abby was told a story long ago about the catalyst of the endless war. Her Grandmother told her before she died and Abby had remembered ever since. Abby had made sure to remember because her Grandmother was one of the few who had lived past 20 and had first hand knowledge of the past. In fact she had made it to 50 and was seen as the keeper of history as any written records had been burned or destroyed and everyone had given up trying to remember long ago.

Grandmother’s story went like this.

Once upon a time the world was different. People were happy, they could agree and arguments did not lead to violence. Then one sunny day, a Trickster descended and he was bored. Everyone was living harmoniously and it didn’t suit him, he wanted some entertainment. Sometimes if he was bored he would throw a stone at someone and blame someone else or trip someone as they walked down the street but this amusement only lasted so long. He decided to pull out his greatest trick yet. From every person he took something special, their Understanding. He traveled the world collecting Understanding and as he did so, he watched the world slowly unravel. Without their Understanding people lost their ability to reflect on the past and appreciate differences in opinion. People misunderstood each others languages, intentions and cultures. That is how the world came to be what it is today and no one alive remembers what it was like to have Understanding.

Except Grandma, Grandma remembered because she was told by her mother who was told by her mother before her. Abby too remembered because this story had been passed down to her.

One day Abby decided to leave her home to track down the Trickster and make him give Understanding back to the world. As she traveled she told her Grandmother’s story in the hopes that the story might cause people to rethink their constant fighting but without Understanding in the world, the story had no impact. 

Years and kilometers later Abby found him, the Trickster.

“Give it back” she demanded of him “can’t you see the damage you have done, how dare you let this continue?”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about” he said, “get out of-“

“I do” she interrupted, “my Grandmother told me the story of how you took Understanding from us all those years ago.”

“She did, did she” he replied, “let me tell you the true story.”

The Trickster told her his story. How he had planned on playing his tricks on the humans but the world was already falling into chaos. What he found when he arrived is that Understanding was already gone. The humans had given up on its pursuit and so it gradually faded until their was no trace.

“In the end, I didn’t have to lift a finger to trick you, you did it yourselves.” 

“How do we get it back” she asked him desperately.

“You can only get it back if people want it back, from what I have seen, that will never happen.” “I watched you while you sought me out, you told them that Understanding is what they needed, what they were missing, didn’t you” he asked.

“Yes” she replied.

“And” he prodded “did it work?”

“No” she replied.

With the end of the Trickster’s story came the end of Abby’s hope.  

“Hope was all I had” she said. “Take it back, call that story back” (King 10).

“I would” he replied “but, of course, it [is] too late, for once a story is told it cannot be called back” (King 10).

When I told this story I was reminded of the different connections that people have with stories because of their own stories. The majority of people that I told this too couldn’t conceive of such a terrible world. They agreed that it was horrible and didn’t know what Abby would do or how she could go on but they couldn’t comprehend the horror of a world like that. Those that I told the story to who had seen and experienced war had a better understanding of Abby and her situation. Because their own stories provided them with a deeper understanding of her situation and the hopelessness and disbelief at the actions of other. Stories are even more powerful when they resonate with the listeners stories and experiences. This is why support groups are so effective. If there is no one to listen who has those stories or experiences, stories become less powerful.

Work Cited

King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative, House of Anansi Press Inc., 2003, Toronto.

“Native American Tricksters of Myth and Legend.” Native Languages, http://www.native-languages.org/trickster.htm. Accessed 23 Jan 2020.

“Support Groups: Make Connections, Get Help.” Mayo Clinic, https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/support-groups/art-20044655. Accessed 23 Jan 2020.