Swiffer gives cleaning a whole new meaning

2011 April 7
by elishamallen

This quirky advertisement by Swiffer reminds consumers to do what they do best: consume! Dusting is a household chore that rarely registers glamour or fun in the minds of consumers. For this reason, companies often have trouble engaging their target audience and creating brand loyalty. Take a look at this video to see how Swiffer included a modern spin on dusting to  entice consumers to purchase Swiffer products:

One of my favourite parts of the commercial is when the dust particle references “spending too many nights alone at the space bar.” That line alone led me to choose this commercial for my final marketing blog post. In my opinion, Swiffer could not have made dusting more hilarious.

One of the risks of this type of commercial is that customers remember to purchase dusting products but forget which brand to buy. Swiffer mitigated this risk by adding their jingle, “Swiffer gives cleaning a whole new meaning,” which instantly sticks in the listeners mind and acts as a constant reinforcement. The advertisement as a whole is short, informative, reminds customers to purchase  Swiffer products and is comical. What better advertising could you ask for?