Hello!

Hello everyone!

My name is Eliza Jackson and I am a second-year Arts student majoring in Psychology and minoring in Sociology. Truthfully I took this course to fulfill my final literature requirement, however, I am really looking forward to learning in this course! I am quite excited to take a deep dive into the romance world and to reflect on the materials provided in this course. I love to read in my free time, so I am happy that this course requires quite a bit of it! I am also happy with the grading option as I like the freedom we are given to assess our own abilities. My personal reading has for the most part consisted of young adult and adult fiction in English, surrounding themes around contemporary society. Therefore I am happy to be able to widen my reading scope by taking this course.

I come from a french background, so I expect to quite enjoy the french literature as I can somewhat resonate with the stories. I have also travelled to Italy a few times, and have absolutely fallen in love with the Italian language and culture, so I expect to enjoy these as well! I actually hope to live in Southern Italy one day! In terms of themes, I found myself being mainly interested in exploring stories that include memory, societal factors such as race, class, and gender, as well as family. I was also very intrigued by the book written by Clarice Lispector (The Passion According to G. H.) as it was indicated that it is an “unforgettable” book.

Looking forward to meeting you all (hopefully in person soon) and discussing the subsequent themes from our readings!

4 Replies to “Hello!”

1. Hi Eliza! I 100% can relate to what you discussed in this blog post. I also decided to take this course to fulfill my literature requirement and am also in my second year wanting to major in Psychology. Although I don’t come from a French background, I did do french immersion from kindergarten – grade 12 in high school, so I can also appreciate french literature 🙂

2. Hey Eliza, I am in total agreement with you about how appealing, free, and flexible the grading for this course is. Though, as you are looking forward to the reading, I am not so much – hopefully that changes! Also, interestingly enough, I actually received a DELF certificate in high school, so maybe with the help of my French understanding I will be able to find some themes within the French literature as well.

3. Wow Eliza! Sounds like you can really resonate with the material we will learn in the course. I look forward to hearing more on how you and your personal experiences connect with the specific pieces of literature you will read throughout the semester!

4. Hi Eliza! It is really jealous to see you have some sense of what it is like to be in Europe physically! Because I also absolutely agree that you can resonate with the course materials and that is one of the best things you can get in this course! Since you seem to have had fun in Italy, it makes me think about taking a trip to Europe one day. Thanks for the blog!