Reflection Blog: Self-Assessment

Looking back on the term, I was initially overwhelmed by the amount of work and assignments required for this course. My calendar was populated with around two assignments per week from this course, and I thought it would be difficult. However, these assignments were especially helpful in improving my writing. Over the term, I believe I learned how to write effective peer reviews and learn from other people’s work as a result. One topic that I struggled on in this course was minimizing the use of pronouns and the use of imperative verbs. At the beginning of the course, my assignments consisted heavily of pronouns and imperative verbs which can set the wrong tone for technical writing. The “You Attitude” writing style was a new concept for me, however, I believe it was one of the most useful concepts in the course. This style of writing has direct real world applications when emailing other people such as professors and other working professionals.

Now that I have taken this technical writing course, my writing capabilities has improved exceptionally. As a computer science student with the intention of becoming a software developer, this course will help my communication skills throughout my career. Through learning the “You Attitude” style of writing and all the memorandums I have created over the term, I believe the tone of my future emails will be positive for the reader. Overall, I am glad to have taken this course and I will apply the concepts learned in this course to my professional career.

Reflection Blog: Web Folio Creation

When creating my Web Folio, I was given the opportunity to look back at the work that I have made over this term. It was truly amazing to see the growth of my writing throughout the term. My writing skill has improved and I have learned many new concepts over the term.

I revised a lot of my writing according to my peer reviews which has greatly contributed to my improvement over the term. I put the work that I think was of best quality in the best work section. It is amazing how all the work that has been done over the term can be compiled into a Web Folio.

At first, creating a Web Folio seemed like a daunting task. I did not know where or how to create one. However, I was able to turn my blog site into the Web Folio. The Web Folio introduces the reader to the technical writing course and the best work that I have done over the term. A challenge I faced when I was creating this Web Folio was writing an online version of my resume. This was difficult as I struggled trying to make the layout look nice. However, as I got more familiar with WordPress, I was able to make my online resume look as nice as the PDF version.

Although creating the Web Folio seemed like a challenging task at first, I am happy with how it turned out. My Web Folio serves as a great introduction to myself and my work for curious readers. I especially like the best work section as I get to show off how my writing has evolved over the semester. Overall, I am glad to have taken this course and I hope to use the lessons I have learned here throughout the rest of my professional career.

Unit Three Reflection Blog

This unit was challenging as we began the process of researching and drafting the formal report. An assignment that helped especially with this was the progress report. This helped me organize my thoughts on the formal report and create a timeline for when tasks should be finished.

SimplySfdc.com: Salesforce: Subscribe Reports in Classic and Lightning

Researching and Data Collection for Formal Report

The task of collecting data although seemingly simple, was actually quite challenging. It was challenging for me to think of questions for me to ask in a survey that would help me get the data that I wanted. Since this was my first time writing survey questions, it was especially difficult for me to create appropriate questions. I had difficulty trying to ask the question I wanted without it being a leading question. I also struggled on discovering what format would best be suited for certain types of questions. Although this process was challenging for me, I learned quite a lot on the process of data collection and it was rewarding to see the responses on my survey.

It was also my first time performing an interview to collect data. This task was difficult and fun at the same time as I got to rekindle with past coworkers and managers while trying to collect data for the report. A challenge I faced when interviewing was asking questions in a way that would not affect the responses. Also, I found I had to prompt the interviewee more to get them to elaborate on their responses. Overall, the data collection phase was difficult however, I learned a lot and I believe I was able to obtain the data necessary for the report.

Drafting the Formal Report

Drafting the initial draft of the formal report was a daunting task. Looking at the requirements listed in the instructor’s blog, having to write 2500-3500 words for a report seemed like a difficult task. What helped me in tackling this challenge was using the outline that we drafted in one of the previous assignments and write the report section by section. This helped me break the report down into small subsections instead of looking at the entire 3500 word report. I also had difficulty determining what methods would be best to present the data that I collected. For example, when I was calculating the amount of paper used annually by the department, I did not know how to present this calculation. I eventually decided that a table would best represent this information as I could show the results of each step of the calculation and the data used to arrive to the next step.

A new writing style that we learned in this unit was the “You Attitude” writing style. This type of writing focuses on the reader and trying to appeal to the reader through a positive tone and avoiding imperative verbs. This style of writing is new to me, however, I learned a lot about catering to the reader. We also had to include this style of writing in the formal report which helped improve my formal report to make the overall tone sound more friendly to the reader. This style of writing is especially helpful when writing emails to professors and managers and I will keep this skill in mind, even after the course ends. 

Peer Reviewing a Formal Report

After finishing my draft of the report, we were tasked to give feedback and review a team member’s report. Again, I found these peer review assignments especially helpful. Reading my peer’s formal report gave me ideas on how to describe my own data and propose solutions to the reader. Receiving feedback on my own formal report draft was invaluable. My team members are talented writers and provide me great constructive feedback to improve my work. For example, in my peer review, my partner pointed out that certain areas of my introduction section could be more concise by removing unnecessary information. This was especially helpful as I was having trouble finding ways to keep my report informative, yet concise. Overall, these peer review assignments throughout the course have been invaluable in improving my own technical writing capabilities.

Enclosure: For confidential purposes, my report cannot be publicly published