Assignment 1:5: How Evil came into the world.

Posted by in Eng 372

I have a great story to tell you.

In another time, in another place, people and deities existed. They lived in contact with each other, like neighbours, separate but within reach. Not like now. Not unseen and unheard. The people would ask the deities about all manner of things. What would the crops be like this season, who would fall in love with whom, would there be many babies born this year? The deities were obliged to answer, it was their duty. In exchange the people provided bountiful wheat, grains, livestock, and the finest fabrics and scents. This exchange existed for as long as the peoples collective memory went back, and as long as the deities could recall, and they were immortal.
This blissful existence continued until one day, a deity, lets call them Invention, pondered aloud to the other deities, “why do we answer to the people at their every beck and call? We are the deities, and yet we respond to them! Instead we could free ourselves from this incessant exchange and truly live as Gods!” The other deities murmured mixed emotions. How could they possibly not answer the questions of the people? Where would they receive their finery and feasts? The people always reserved the best of their wares as offerings just for them! It seemed such a humble exchange.
Invention proceeded, “all the humans need are answers to what the future holds.  We have infinite power and knowledge of the universe, we could create something, a vessel to house all the collective knowledge to give to them, so they can consult the vessel and leave us in peace! They’ll still bring us offerings as gratitude, for we will have made their quest for answers even more accessible!”
The deities nodded, even those who had been sceptical of Invention’s plan. Once agreed, they wasted no more time to quickly begin creating the vessel of knowledge. Days and night passed. The deities were so focused on their creation they didn’t hear the inquiries of the people. Question after question went unanswered. The people were concerned, why weren’t the deities responding? Had they forsaken them? What would they do without the deities! They’d be lost!
Finally, after weeks and weeks, they deities emerged. “Good people,” they announced, “we have not forsaken you! Instead we have created for you a vessel to house all of our collective knowledge of the universe, the past, present, and future! We did not know if we could accomplish it but we did! For each and every person and child will hold their own vessel, small enough to keep on you at all times, ask it anything and be answered instantly! Behold, the Oracle!”
Invention held out their hand, and in their palm lay a perfectly smooth, infinitely black, shining, tablet. The people stared, confused, each taking their individual Oracle and turning it over in their hands, staring into its infinite blackness.
“Go on,” urged Invention, “ask it anything.”
The people began to ask questions to their Oracles, “will the rain come and quench my crops,” “will my child take a spouse,” “how much feed should I save for my stock to get through the winter?” Answer after answer after answer poured out of the Oracles. The people were thrilled, they couldn’t believe their wealth! They thanked the deities by offering the best of the best of their wares that year.
However, as the years and years went by the offering from the people shrank, and shrank, and shrank, until the entirety of the deities received nothing but scraps of muslin and pitiful piles of beans and wheat.
“What is going on,” the deities asked. “Do the humans not appreciate their Oracles of knowledge?” Since the deities no longer answered the inquiries of the humans they had little reason to look in on them. “You go Invention,” suggested one deity, “this was all your idea after all.” Invention couldn’t disagree so they went down to see the humans.
When Invention arrived they were baffled. The streets were eerily quiet. No person was in sight. Invention wandered the streets until they peeked into an ajar window, where a family of four sat in a room, not speaking, not looking at each other, just murmuring to their Oracles. “Excuse me,” interrupted Invention, “what on earth are you all doing? Why aren’t you speaking to each other?” The family collectively stared at Invention in silence, until finally the smallest child said, “who is that?”
Invention was aghast. Who is that? How dare this child be so impudent when the very object of their focus was the Oracle Invention had created! Without hesitation Invention stormed away to find another family. They peeked in the window of another house and saw a similar scene, an older couple sitting and staring at their Oracles. This time one of the elderly people raised their heads, “oh I know you,” they whispered, “but I haven’t seen you in a very long time, what is your name again?” Invention felt their face get hot and eyes fill with tears. “You used to bring me the finest silks,” Invention gasped. “Oh that’s right, but you didn’t need us anymore, so you gave use these,” indicating their Oracle, “and now we don’t need you anymore.”
Invention couldn’t believe their ears, “but I gave you a limitless gift! Don’t we still deserve offerings?”
“We have nothing left to offer,” the elder person spoke, “with this knowledge in our hand we could ask trivial questions without the fear of bothering the deities, there was no question too small or inconsequential, people began to ask how much their neighbours were selling their wares for, how were others crops producing so well, how they could outproduce and out harvest one another. The people became competitive and tried to find ways to conceal their secrets to success. They over worked the land to have more and more to sell. People would withhold their surplus stock to drive up prices. Everything was about bargains and deals. They used all their earnings to buy the finest silks, jewels, scents, and metals to make themselves appear successful to intimidate one another. Success is no longer measured in love and peace and community but in material goods. That is why there is nothing left for you. The wares are scarce. You can no longer make them richer, they have nothing to gain from you. Now everyone hides unless it is to boast and parade their success. There is no knowledge we can share with each other that we cannot ask of our Oracles, so we have no need of each other either.”
Invention stood there agape, for once without an answer. “I’ll take the Oracles back!” They protested. “We can go back to the old ways!”
“No,” the elder sighed, “the youth will only know you as the one who denied them knowledge, and to them knowledge is synonymous with wealth and riches, you cannot take that away and expect them to honour you.”
It can’t be, thought Invention.
But, of course, it was too late. For once a story is told, it cannot be called back. Once told, it is loose in the world.

Reflections:
Wow, first of all I had such a hard time coming up with an idea for a story. I had no idea where to start. Everything I came up with felt silly. I started brainstorming with a teacher friend, who, in his classroom has the Theodore Roosevelt quote “comparison is the thief of joy.” Ah ha.
At first, trying to get this story out orally with so many “wait…where was I,” and “oh no, I skipped a part.” Speaking the story was so different than writing it. I would get lost and have to start over, or miss huge chunks and think how did I get here? In fact, I started telling it to my four year old niece, and about two minutes in she asked if I would instead read her a chapter from Frog and Toad. We read two.
I expected writing the story to be a much greater challenge. Once I started typing things started flowing in a way I really didn’t expect. I almost couldn’t keep up, and maybe the story got a little away from me.
I knew I wanted to keep the story timeless, and keep the characters gender neutral, as I’ve read in many Indigenous stories, but it didn’t stop me from picturing Greek Gods on Mount Olympus, Adam and Eve and that fateful Apple, Prometheus and fire, and Pandora and her box. As much as I tried to suppress those tropes and stories in my mind, they are too much ingrained in my own understanding of good and evil.

Citations:

King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. House of Anansi Press Inc., 2010.

Photo: iStock, Glowing Orb, Getty Images.