Selected Songs from the Voyager Gold Record

Selected Songs:

All of the songs we annotated based on my personal connection to the music and sounds. The songs selected evoked the strongest memory, connection, or desire to smile, dance and be present. As noted in the podcast by Dallas Taylor, the Voyager Gold Album is described as collection of human values from around the world. Through its creativity, the artistic human imagination and intellect reaches out the unknown. My favourite line from the podcast, was the quote:

Imagination is more important than knowledge.                     – Albert Einstein

Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor. 4:40

This song was selected because of my connection with the trumpets. I played trumpet for three years in my school band and appreciate this instrument greatly. The song is full of bright and uplifting harmonies and rhythms.

Senegal, percussion, recorded by Charles Duvelle. 2:08

The drums, especially the hand drums, remind me of tamtams in Montreal. A weekly improvised collection of people on Mount Royal making music, and an audience learning to move their body in time and feel the music run through them. This music speaks to the power of expression, no matter the state – from celebration to sadness.

Australia, Aborigine songs, “Morning Star” and “Devil Bird,” recorded by Sandra LeBrun Holmes. 1:26

This chanting song cultivates a community feeling of belonging and connection. The chorus of men chanting feels as though they are bonded to something beyond themselves, perhaps to the land and to one another.

Mexico, “El Cascabel,” performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi México. 3:14

This is a very famous song I have heard many times before and heard other pop songs who have sampled from this song. The instruments of a Mexican guitar and fiddle make me tap my feet and get up to move and dance. I dream of learning Latin dances, like the salsa and merengue.

Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor. 2:55

Looking into the story of this Opera, I found that the Queen of the Night must exact revenge, and it reminds me of growing up with my sisters and always trying to get back at one another in sneaky ways. Watching the BBC version, the female vocalist demonstrates strength, power, honour and passion in her singing of a primal rage aria. I connect deeply with the illusion of choice within the story and would love to see it performed live.*

Georgian S.S.R., chorus, “Tchakrulo,” collected by Radio Moscow. 2:18

In one of the very bars in the song, there is a long ‘o’ sound that I immediately connected with a song from the movie Frozen. The chorus sounds are similar to an organ or voices in a church, and it was interesting to read how people from Georgia are connected to this piece of history. The architecture of sound within building of worship reminded me of visiting the Rothko Chapel  and appreciating the space, art and sound as a spiritual experience.

“Melancholy Blues,” performed by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Seven. 3:05

I am very fond of Louis Armstrong, especially his song, What a Wonderful World. I wonder why they chose this song in particular, as it does not feature prominently his unique voice or the stories he spins with sound. The Blues makes me think of visiting New Orleans, attending many Montreal Jazz Festivals over the years, and doing research on the history of jazz in Montreal and learning about race relations and the famous Jazz club Rockhead’s Paradise.

Bulgaria, “Izlel je Delyo Hagdutin,” sung by Valya Balkanska. 4:59

I always love folk songs and the stories they tell. My favourite festival in Montreal is the Folk Fest sur le Canal. The subject of this song, a rebel leader oppressed by tyrants and the women who mourn, is a homage to the strength of people and the human spirit.

Navajo Indians, Night Chant, recorded by Willard Rhodes. 0:57

The rattles in this song remind me of learning about how the Cree People would make rattles out of turtle shells or nut shells. When I lived in Mistissini, I had the chance to learn to sing the woman part of some traditional songs from Gabriel Whiteduck.

Solomon Islands, panpipes, collected by the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Service. 1:12

The panpipes bring to mind a much more simplistic train whistle I had as a child, the melodies make me think of the movement of a train chugging along and of adventure that awaits. The sounds move through me and transport me to an unknown destination and I am content.

*My ability to research the origins of some songs over others influenced some of the connections I was able to make and may have tipped my selection to include more English or Westernized music, rather than just basing my selection on the connection I felt towards the music.

As Abby Smith noted in her talk, Digital Memory: What Can We Afford to Lose, our cultural memory is exclusive and strongly linked to our own identity and the barriers of what we have experienced. I would like to learn more about the songs that I was particularly disinterested by, in order to build a greater tolerance and appreciation for cultural difference.

Not Selected:

Java, court gamelan, “Kinds of Flowers,” recorded by Robert Brown. 4:43

Very calming chanting.

Zaire, Pygmy girls’ initiation song, recorded by Colin Turnbull. 0:56

Meditative chanting or prayer song.

“Johnny B. Goode,” written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38

Classic rock and roll, from my memories of the movie Pulp Fiction and dressing up as Mia Wallace for Hallowe’en.

New Guinea, men’s house song, recorded by Robert MacLennan. 1:20

My ears are sensitive to the sounds of crackling on the recording.

Japan, shakuhachi, “Tsuru No Sugomori” (“Crane’s Nest,”) performed by Goro Yamaguchi. 4:51

I have very little cultural reference to appreciate this piece and the tones in the Japanese flute. I would love to learn more.

Bach, “Gavotte en rondeaux” from the Partita No. 3 in E major for Violin, performed by Arthur Grumiaux. 2:55

The violin is very relaxing, familiar and enjoyable to listen to.

Peru, panpipes and drum, collected by Casa de la Cultura, Lima. 0:52

This reminds me of playing band, the noisy environment of the classroom, and the challenges I faced playing at the right time as I could not always hear the cues or keep time by reading the music.

Azerbaijan S.S.R., bagpipes, recorded by Radio Moscow. 2:30

In my Wikipedia search, I learned about the Mugham, and it is unlike Western modes of music. This reminds me of oral storytelling and how you make a story your own and pass it on for someone to shape it and retell it. I would love to see someone play a Muhgam.

Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky, conductor. 4:35

The Rite of Spring is suspenseful and serious. I did not like the ballet interpretations I saw online. The song feels like an impending doom is approaching and to respect the strength of the ever-moving natural world.

Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, Prelude and Fugue in C, No.1. Glenn Gould, piano. 4:48

This calm, soothing, beautifully played classical piano is nothing like the piano I played growing up. I sounded much more like a cat walking across the keys.

Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20

This song reminds me of the Nutcracker. I went to see this a few times with my family, put on in a church not far from our home in Toronto. My search online led me to this video, a remix of the music and dancing, and I find it amazing how people are able to create such well timed mashups.

Holborne, Paueans, Galliards, Almains and Other Short Aeirs, “The Fairie Round,” performed by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London. 1:17

The title creates a clear connection between the light sounds and going to a Country Fair.

Peru, wedding song, recorded by John Cohen. 0:38

This Wedding Song sounds so sad. As though waves lapping upon a beach showing the repetition of each day going through life.

China, ch’in, “Flowing Streams,” performed by Kuan P’ing-hu. 7:37

The sounds of water and earthy tones through a slide guitar is tranquil, calming, and reflective.

India, raga, “Jaat Kahan Ho,” sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. 3:30

To me, these are the Indian sounds of enduring and moving forward. The music reminds me of an Indian celebration I was invited to, a ‘period party’ for a student of mine. There was so much colour and life to the party, many pictures were taken, and lots of delicious Indian food.

“Dark Was the Night,” written and performed by Blind Willie Johnson. 3:15

Perseverance; optimism; enduring; praise.

Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet. 6:37

A sad, yet hopeful ending of sorts. A tribute to the unknown in B-Flat, a somber salute to the universe.