The year ahead: 2017

I’m really looking forward to this year! Here’s what’s coming up:

ACADEMICS

Starting in January, I’m taking two geographical sciences courses: GEOB 270 (Geographic Information Systems) and GEOB 372 (Cartography). Both have very practical applications related to making maps, the first including data associated with maps.

I’m also taking MATH 200 (multivariable calculus), EOSC 222 (geological time and stratigraphy) and ENGL 110 (literature), all of which I’m excited for.

I’ll be starting my 3rd year in September.

CAREER

I’m hoping to get a job back in Calgary in May and June, either working at Riverwatch (teaching kids about sciences as we raft down a river), or teaching orienteering to school groups.

SPORTS

I’m really looking forward to Junior World Orienteering Championships this July in Finland. The terrain should be really interesting. I’m training super hard as it is my last year of eligibility for JWOC. My goal is to place top 90 in every race. I’m also excited about Canadian Orienteering Championships in Ontario.

I’m continuing to play TSC Quidditch, including my role as the fundraising officer. I’m super excited for nationals this year, in Victoria at the beginning of April.

Published by

Emma Sherwood

2nd year science student pursuing a major in Geographical Sciences. Canadian junior national team orienteer. UBC quidditch TSC athlete and fundraising executive. From Calgary, AB.