Application Letter

2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

September 17, 2020

ENGL301 99A Students
University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Attention: Students of ENGL301 99A

I am a recent biology graduate and first year BCS student at UBC looking to be part of a professional writing team. As part of the ENGL301 course, I believe that the skills and experience that I have acquired throughout my years will complement any team looking to work and improve together for the duration of this term.

Professional communication and writing are skills that I have trained throughout both my academic and employment history as a student, cashier, barista, IT help desk support and perhaps most notably, as a biology co-op at Terramera, a biotech start-up based in Vancouver, BC. My work at Terramera included communicating professionally with people from diverse backgrounds including biologists, data scientists, computer engineers, team leads, managers and the Chief Scientific Officer. This communication was typically conducted through in-person meetings, but also in experimental reports and emails.

From the countless written assignments and reports I have produced in the past, I believe my attention to detail and grammar to be excellent, and my writing style to be concise. At times, I can even condense my writing such that meeting word count requirements can be difficult. Evenings (Pacific time) are my most productive hours, as I tend to work late into the nights.

Generally, I believe that practice to be the most effective method of learning and improving. This is especially true for tasks that are already or easily understood. For larger or abstract concepts however, I believe breaking them into smaller, manageable parts to first understand before practicing can be beneficial.

If my application is of interest, please contact me at jonathho@student.ubc.ca. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Ho

301 Jonathan Ho Application Letter